Pattaya - English Breakfast?

Singhaman

I'd also recommend The Bowling Green (soi Drarin, just off soi Chayapoon, near to the X-Zyte disco). Brilliant small brekkie for less than 100 baht. Proper mustard and proper sausages. Also does a 'real' Bradford curry too!

The Queen Victoria on soi 6 also does a great breakfast - and you certainly need an influx of grease before tackling the gals on that street! :hubba:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I second Palmers on Soi Pattayaland 2. Was in there yesterday for a nosh. Had real black pudding for 45 baht extra but you had to order it separately. The sausages weren't that good. Comes with home made fries. I think the standard breakfast was about 120.

Nearby you've got The Ritz on Soi Yamato. 100 baht for an English breakfast including black pudding and proper bangers. Very nice. If I recall correctly they have hash browns.

On Soi Day Night, can't remember which number, apart from the male massage places you've got Papa David's. Good bacon and sausages. Then again I suppose they should know a good sausage when they see one.

Didn't think much of Crazy Dave's on Soi Chaiyapoon, off Buakow. He offers a standard breakfast for 65 baht. For a bit more you get a larger breakfast. His black pudding was anaemic and anorexic. The sausages looked like they'd been fried 3 times. Plus he has this pissing annoying mynah bird/pterodactyl sqwauking in a cage outside.

Pat's Pies and Delis on 3rd Road wasn't overly impressive although some people rave about their pies.

Tried out Fatties on Second Rd, down by Soi 2. Fairly bland. The sausages were no good. No black pudding. Plus they do two breakfasts which look very similar if you don't read the small print carefully. One breakfast was about 150 baht which included cereal and tea/coffee, possibly baked beans. Didn't fancy the cereal or beans so I got the Olympic which was next down at about 125 baht. The girl asked what drink I'd like and so ordered tea. At the end they hit me up for 175 baht as the second breakfast didn't include a mug of tea and that was 50 baht a shot. So it was cheaper to order everything and not eat it but at least the tea was included.

Fawlty Towers on Soi 7 was okay but nothing to rave about. I recall that previously it was better. Maybe they've changed the chef.

The Elephant and Castle on Second Rd by Soi 8 was okay but again nothing to write home about.

I've conducted my research as neutrally as possible and tried lots of English breakfasts around town, as someone else pointed out they're second to none in helping you recover from a hangover. There seems to be no standard as to what constitutes a full English breakfast. Some include mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, black pudding, chips, hash browns. Others have them as extras. Have tried lots of other places which have faded into insignificance. Lots of places have mustard, whether it be authentic Coleman's or squeezy bottle American mustard. Most of the places also will have proper HP brown sauce and some also have Worcester sauce.

Most include 2 eggs and bacon with sausage. They usually also include a mug of tea/coffee and sometimes orange juice along with a couple of rounds of toast with jam/'marmalade. The bacon varies from the insipid streaky Thai variety to proper Danish bacon. Sausages vary from 2 inch split chipolata style Frankfurters to large British bangers. The eggs can be virtually uncooked at times along with the toast. It's pretty hit and miss at times.

So, suck it and see.

:D

OK, guess we need KS to authorize a Pattaya Breakfast report ...... shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks of eating 2 brekkies a day to sort it out. ::

Good start on it Suk :: :beer:

LHL,

Forgot to mention Greg's Kitchen. :doah:

Second Rd, about 50 metres from Soi Yodsak. Full Breakfast for 150 baht. Three rashers of proper bacon. One large chunky tasty sausage, couple of properly fried eggs, fried tomatoes, sauteed potatoes. Two large chunks of properly toasted bread with marmalade, mug of tea and orange juice. Beans as well, although don't care for 'em meself. Plus they have pukka brown sauce and vinegar although you have to ask.

;)

LHL - now this is where North American English really gets fucked up!

What the FUCk is an egg 'over-easy'? Why is is it so difficult to order a sandwich without specifying the source and history of all the ingredients? Who the hell can eat a PANCAKE for breakfast? Pancakes are for Shrove Tuesday and have sugar and lemon on 'em - and they always have to taste like shit; that's the point y'see.

Why-oh-why do Americans insist on food that is edible? It's crazy. You won't build your new empire on edible food for chrissakes. How do you think we got our stiff upper lip? It's cringing away from the food that's how.

ENGLISH BREAKFAST - A GUIDE

Offal - that's the secret. Offal and dangly bits and bits that your butchers throw to the dogs. Take all that stuff - FRY it - fry it again until it has burnt bits on it.

Take care to have the statutary cigarette dangling from mouth during preparation (EEC Directive: 0020201).

A MUG of tea. Note: not a cup.

Slices of toast. Toast is toasted - it is not bread with a slight tan.

Baked beans - proper Heinz baked beans. Cross and Blackwell do NOT work. Note: Do not store left-over baked beans in fridge. They go too hard.

SAUCES: Brown or red. End of. Dilute with vinegar in cheap establishments.

EGGS: are fried. Fried. That's it. DO NOT COMPLAIN about eggs in a greasy spoon establishment. They are done the way that Elsie has always done them and she's not messing about with special orders 'cos the lads from the building site are in in a minute.

MUSTARD: Has to be Colmans. Dijon is NOT mustard okay? It's just plain wrong. Mustard is thick and yellow and always leaves a stain on the cuticle of your fingernail.

BLACK PUDDING: Not for the faint-hearted. Like haggis, it sounds awful but is delicious. Eaten with MUSTARD (Above).

SERVED at your table by a youth with learning difficulties and acne. (EEC Directive 075766369854)

------------------------------------------------

Singhaman - your mission, should you choose to accept it is to try every establishment listed here and report back.

Couple more chalked up in past week.:-

Pig & Whistle Soi 7. Full breakfast with tasty bacon. I think it's Wiltshire bacon. Sausage, fried eggs, beans etc. Toast. Decent mug of tea, sausage not bad at all. Not one of them chipolata frankfurter jobs. Quite a healthy sized portion. If memory serves me right about 125-150 baht.

Rosie O'Grady's Soi 7. Superman breakfast at 190 baht. Mug of tea extra at 30 baht. Large plate full of sausage, bacon, mushrooms, beans, fried eggs with toast on the side. To be fair to them when I told the lady I didn't want beans she said that she'd put extra bacon on which she did. Didn't kick up a fuss or ask for it she just volunteered. Good customer service. Probably a bit ambitious for many unless they've had a good skinfull the night before. Unusual to have to pay extra for the tea. There was a lot of food but unfortunately apart from the sausage most of it was fairly bland. Hardly any taste to the mushrooms and the bacon, extra portion nonetheless, was less tasty than it looked. Still, if you've got a fogged up gob from fags and booze then you probably can't taste the food half the time anyway.

The Lobby, Soi Buakaow. Can't recall how much but think it was in the region of 125-150. The food here was quite nice. Good tasty sausage and bacon plus tomatoes and eggs. Beans if you want them. Toast. Tea/coffee with as many refills as you want. Nice pleasant waitress service. While you stuff your face you can watch the box or afterwards have a go of their free internet access.

Buttsies (sic) Naklua Road opposite Soi Wongamart. A healthy sized portion of bacon and eggs with 1 chunky sausage, tomatoes, toast and tea for 120 baht. If memory serves me right they might have also had mushrooms. Black pudding was an extra 30 baht but was a long cylindrical pud, normally sliced up into smaller pieces, about the size of a doggy doo doo. Friendly staff. Sit outdoors under a cover so you get a fair amount of flies buzzing around. Bit of a way to go for a breakfast unless you're based up that end or there or just exploring the delights of north Ptty.

Archived