Dengue fever

A diease that is raging thru SE Asia is dengue fever. Many have already died. What I find interesting is very little is mentioned about it in the news. Is there innoculations, etc that can prevent it and if one does get it, what is the best way to cure it?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote a bit about this back in July last year. At the hewight of the SARS scare, more people where dying of this in SE countries than SARS, yet there was in a number of coutries, especially after SARS, of a media blackout conducted by those we think the most responsible here in S E Asia.

I had a very dear and old friend die of this in May, at first they thought SARS< but soon realized not, and a bit too late.

This is a serious issue, but ALL the governments here are trying hard to keep it under lids!

JB

Agreed JB .. read some where recently of a major outbreak I believe in Indonesia with 100s dying. Serious bad shit. Chances of dying from some mossie borne disease are higher than most stuff you can get from your local p4p friend IMO.

Stay inside and sanuk more :: it's healthier.

When my mate died a good doctor I know wrote me a lot about the disease.

In Thailand a lot of people have had it, but not the same very serious strain in Indonesia (Which is talking about hte disease)

The interesting thing is that it is spread by "Public Servant" mosquitos. ie Ones that are around in the day time and not night time!

I didn't know that mosquitos worked shift work, but apperently they do, there are day time (Dengue) and night time (Maleria is by night time) mozzies.

Now remember how good Singapore andhonest it is! Wel they are having a Dengue plagues right now, over 100's cases a month!

Hmm dont seem to see them saying anything about it though!

JB

JB

I had this after a trip to the northwest in Thailand.

Sick for 2-3 days in TL, went back to States, got really sick about 6-7 days later. High fever, hallucinations,literally became too weak to move within about 4 hours.

Hospital for 10 days. No treatment, just IV fluids.

The bright side: I lost 11 kilos in those 10 days! And didn't die!!

The hospital had to send my blood to the CDC - Centers for Disease Control - to confirm it. Nobody at the major research hospital where I was had ever seen it before.

>This is a serious issue, but ALL the governments here are trying hard to keep it under lids!

What absolute rubbish. This is a major public health concern in most contries in south east asia, and the governments *do* take it seriously.

data is *easily* available about this diseases, and considerable effort is going into control of mosquito breeding habitats as well as developing vaccines and cures. Just cause *you* know crap all about it, does not mean that others don't

>At the hewight of the SARS scare, more people where dying of this in SE countries than SARS, yet there was in a number of coutries, especially after SARS, of a media blackout conducted by those we think the most responsible here in S E Asia.

Dude, there is a *huge* difference between dengue and SARS. Mortality rates for a start. Do you know that approximately 100 million are infected *each year* with the dengue virus? Only about 50,000 (thats about 0.0005%) of these are the severe forms of the disease (life threatening), and (heres the point) 95% of these life threatening cases occur in children under the age of 15.

If as many people got SARS as got dengue each year, you would be piling the bodies 6 feet deep.

>had a very dear and old friend die of this in May, at first they thought SARS< but soon realized not, and a bit too late.

Any doctor who mistakes SARS (basically a respiratory syndrome) for dengue (a haemorrhagic syndrome) should not be practising medicine.

However, that being said, even if they *had* said it was a severe case of dengue, bugger all they could do about it anyway as there is no specific treatment for dengue, except general support.

-j-

>A diease that is raging thru SE Asia is dengue fever. Many have already died. What I find interesting is very little is mentioned about it in the news. Is there innoculations, etc that can prevent it and if one does get it, what is the best way to cure it?

Dengue has been in southeast Asia for hundreds of years. Currently there is no vaccine and no cure. However, infection with the dengue virus leads to a range of symptoms (or none). The *vast* majority of infections are either non-symptomatic or lead to *very* mild symptoms (headache, joint pain etc). Most likely if you spend (or have spent) time in Asia, you have been infected witht he dengue virus - and never knew it. Approx 98% of Thai's for instance have evidence of dengue virus infections. This mild infection is termed "Dengue Fever". In *some* cases the disese becomes more severe, and, depending upon severity the disease may be called either "Dengue hemorrhagic fever" or "dengue shock syndrome". Hemorrhagic indicates that basically it is a "bleeding" disease. In these cases, the disease is life threatening (but as said in the other post, the *vast* majority of these cases occur in children under 15).

OK. Now it gets complicated. There is not one type of the dengue virus, there are FOUR types (they are called dengue 1 to 4). Now, a lot of evidence seems to suggest that the severe forms of the disease (see above) are associated with a *second* infection of the disease - BUT with a different type of dengue, and probably type 2 second is worst.

What makes the "epidemics" of dengue occur is *often* the introduction of another type into an area. So say you have type 1 running around, and type 2 gets introduced - BINGO, epidemic of the hemorrhagic disease. Many places (Thaland particularly) ahve all four types of the dengue virus in the general population, so it is considered a "hyper-endemic" area.

OK. As to Indonesia. The Indo's say there is *another* type of the dengue virus going around. However, this is COMPLETELY unsupported by any data. There is a large southeast asian consortium of half a dozen countries that are trying to gte to the bottom of it (i.e. provide *actual* evidence). Until that time any speculation would be unwarranted.

-j-

Hi JI,

Hemorrhagic indicates that basically it is a "bleeding" disease.

Yes, in thai: Khai Luat Ork, fever where the blood comes out.

Any thai is very familiar with this disease.

And as I recall it is passed on by a day variety of the mosquito as opposed to the variety transmitting malaria. A fact that many tourists seem to neglect myself included.I never take any precautions during day time to protect myself from mossies.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived