INTJ said:

Hi,

Just one word translated, if possible.

"Audacious" - in the context of :-

"unrestrained by convention or propriety; insolent"

*ex B**st at Angel Witch ............. not THAT'S audacious : :grinyes:

Many Thanks,

INTJ.

my dictionary suggests an expression that I'm sure that many of you have already heard, i.e.

"taleung"

I'm not sure I can make the board show the script, but I'll give it a try:

ฑะลึ่ง

EDIT: Nope, I can't figure out how to show it in Thai script... :(

My dictionary (on the web: http://cyberdict.com/)

Just says /klaa" maak"/ which would just mean someone who dares to do a lot. Almost means 'brave', which is not 'audacious' which is never a good treat. (THen again, MS Word does list 'bold' 'daring' and 'brave' as synonyms! (?) I don't think those are very good synonyms??

There may still be some use for klaa" maak" as it's not as offensive as /naa" daan"/.. then again, with audacious that might be exactly what you mean.

Note that *just* using a dictionary without more understanding of Thai usually gets you nowhere. Usually when translating an English word I first get some synomyms by typing it in Word and checking for synonyms, and then look those up in a dictionary. Then you have a pretty good chance of finding a fair translation.. Which you then can translate back.. :) But then picking the right one is still difficult.

When translating naa" daan" back I get 'brazen', 'shameless', 'immodest' which in my mind are MUCH better synonyms of 'audacious' than MS Word came up with!! When translating 'brazen' back again I also get one I never heard of: "ทำด้วยทองเหลือง" (tham- duay" thong- lueang+) Anyone hear that before?? :) Fun.. can just do this all day.. :)

Anyway, let's try Thai writing with the Mozilla browser of the best candidates for audacious, with 'klaa" maak" being not very negative.

Klaa" Maak" : กล้ามาก

Naa" Daan" : หน้าด้าน

Cheers,

Chanchao

Ok, that didn't work.

BUT all is not lost because it seems it turned it into HTML codes, which means you should be able to read it by cutting and pasting it into a text file (notepad) and then renaming it from myfile.txt to myfile.html.!!!! (Making sure encoding is on 'Thai')

So just open Notepad, paste in the number codes exactly like they're in the post above, then save somewhere and change the file extension to .html. Then open with Internet Explorer.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thanks to everyone. I think "na daan" is the closest to the mark.

As I understand, "taleung" would translate more as "cheeky".

Fly, I'm amazed you can't read or write Thai. Whats your excuse ?

Regards,

INTJ

>>>Whats your excuse ?<<<

excuse 1: i have been born with a healthy amount of pure lazyness. ;)

excuse 2: i have always found it extremely easy learning languages just by listening and conversing. the only time i have learned french so far that i could speak was that way (but i forgot most of it again), i also spoke once very basic hindi, just learned it after a few weeks in villages where nobody spoke english (also mostly forgotten now).

anyhow, telling someone 'na daan' directly in the face is one of the worst insults i can imagine. i even cannot remember having ever heard that expression when friends were just fucking around with each other. i have heard all the other stuff, such as 'ai hia' or 'ai sad' in a joking manner, not 'na daan' though.

i guess it is somewhat culturally - in the hirarchal face culture here the fabric of keeping society together is by observance of propriarity - and 'audacious' is somewhat the exact opposite.

'gla maak' i have heard more in the context of 'courageous', and has usually a positive tone.

'talueng' is more like 'teasing'.

Archived