Cost of room air conditioner + monthly electric ?

imperial

thanks guys for the info

it looks like I am going to pass on this "great" idea

to much initial cost as a "gift"

and too much monthly cost when I am not there....

Maybe I will get a NASCAR cool suit ,

the kind that you wear and run cold water thru the tubes sewn in it,

ahhh just kidding !

Cheers

NASCAR cool suit
As a matter of fact there is a system like that made by Central Air that uses a roll around unit which fits into a cutout in a quilted blanket that fits over/around bed.

Agree that smaller size units can work well if not in direct sun as have two downstairs bedrooms, each about 36 SM (not including bath) and one has 18,000 and other 12,000 and both work fine.

For LG 18,000 btu unit the government testing number '5' tag says annual electric cost should be just about 1,000 baht per month.

In the good old days ??.

I lived for a couple of years in Tehran, Iran about 30 years ago and the air-condition unit for most houses consisted of a fan housed inside a cubic meter tin box on the flat roof. The sides of the unit had some sort of grass filling filter which was kept moist by water dripping from a small perforated gutter above the filter.

The evaporated air was sucked through the filter and forced into metal ducts that ran throughout the house. I thought this was simple, ingenious and was very effective.

I have been racking my brains as to how I can modify my present apartment system to bypass the electric watt hungry compressor. Any ideas?

I think the air conditioner is for yourself. If you stay long enough in Thailand, you probably will not use air conditioning. I have 2 units and never turn them on. Once in a while I sleep with a blanket. Thais for the most part, do not use Air conditioning. After awhile, it seems like too much of a bother to tuirn it on.

Archived