Cost of room air conditioner + monthly electric ?

imperial

I was thinking of buying my BG an air conditioer next time I go there,

I stay there sometimes , so I guess its really for my comfort.

But I forgot to look at Tesco and see how much they cost.

plus I have no idea what the monthly electric use cost would be if they used it everyday,

It will be a window mount unit .

any ideas or suggestions on which one to get ?

It won't be a window mount unit! Not sure what kind of room she has, but most won't allow it, and it would block possibly the only window in the room! More likely it would be a combination type unit, a hose of sorts goes out the windo, then into a wall unit...cost about 10,000++ on up. Check with the land lord first...

http://www.tescolotus.net/Default.asp?Lang=English

A combo unit (compressor + fan) costs closer to 20.000 baht, give or take a few thousands depending on capacity. Cost for use will depend quite a bit if you pay electricity directly to the provider or thru your landlord. If the latter is the case, the electricity bill will easily run into several thousands baht per month (let's say 2.000-5.000 baht).*

* or at least I'd think so. I'm not a heavy user of aircon myself and pay about 700 baht per month during the cold season. And that's directly to the electric company.

>I was thinking of buying my BG an air conditioer next time I go there,

I stay there sometimes , so I guess its really for my comfort.

Maybe you can suggest she moves into a new place with aircon already there?

I remember leg mounted standing aircons, robust ones, selling for 16-28K.

Electricity cost, with building markup can easily go 3-4K per month.

ummmm this is getting more costly as we go

maybe I just need to buy bags of ice and a big electric fan !

I was figuring 10,000 or so for the Air-co unit

but the monthly eletric might kill the idea as they only pay 3-4000 a month rent !

I hate to see them get used to the Air-co , have it on all the time and then get a big electric bill !

but come to think of it , I will have to ask if they pay electric from a meter or just so much per month...

Cheers

a 3000-4000 apt should be about 32 sq. meters. So a 9000-12000 BTU would be enough. Could get a unit as low as 13000B at York Aircon ( Central Bangna Mall) or other types. For occasion use the monthly bill would be about 1500B (if she uses it mainly at nighttime at a proper temp)

But ask her first if she wants it. Those who did not grow up with aircon sometimes dont like it.

Another option: get a serviced apartment for the times you are around. I think you'll be happier with the amenities all around and no worries with a project like this.

32 sq. meters. So a 9000-12000 BTU would be enough
Perhaps if not at roof level or have sun hitting walls but the recommend size chart here in Bangkok

(to properly removed water) is:

9,000 btu 9-14 sq m

12,000 16-22

15,300 20-28

18,000 24-33

20,800 28-38

22,800 30-42

Current price for new/good split systems (wall mount fan coil unit) is 16-20k for 9k BTU, 19-25k for 12k BTU and 25-30k for 18k BTU. For split system with floor/ceiling mount the price ranges about the same in baht as the BTU rating. Have not seen a window mount for sale in years and they never lasted well here - rusted out fast.

Agree he should be sure she wants it as she is unlikely to be able to afford to run it and room may not allow or be able to supply electric for it.

I presumed a 3000-4000 apt only has one window and has a bathroom and maybe a balcony with takes space away from the 32 square meter place. Was just at york the other day inquiring for a second bedroom upstairs. This is what they just suggested for me. I believe the I have a 9000BTU in the main bedroom. The room is huge and the aircon does well. The serviceman was around cleaning it and commented that the unit was too small for the room but seems to work fine.

Archived