Lop Buri

chelseafan

Hi,

One thing they are famous for are the huge 'Sunflower' fields. But not in bloom now. Only during the 'winter' months, I believe. Not much of interest there, especially in the 'new town', which was started in 1940.

While ruins span over 12 centuries, most were destroyed by the Khmer after the 10th century. Get a hotel in the old fortified part of town, if interested in old shrines and wats. Most historical sites can be visited by foot. It's not a big town.

HT

Hi ChelseaFan.

Yes, I have been to Lopburi a couple of times.

Quite close to Bangkok (relatively speaking!), and no, don't worry about any jabs.

I found it a really interesting town. You won't see any farang!

Its on the main train line from Bangkok heading north. Only about 3 hours from Bangers - you could do it as a day trip.

The thing you have to watch out for in Lopburi is monkeys! They're everywhere! They clamber over buildings, and stroll down the main street. Agressive little shits they are, too! So don't walk down the street eating a bag of chips/snacks or you'll lose them! Yes, they're that brazen! The locals hate them - you'll probably see local young boys throwing rocks/tennis balls/whatever they can get their hands on, at the monkeys.

There are some interesting (though small) ruins near the station. And check out the HUGE monkey statue on the platform at the northern end!

You don't need any particular jabs though - its an ubran area. You'll just need to go straight to a doc and get a rabies shot if you get licked or bitten by a monkey. Like I said, don't walk down the street with food and you'll be fine.

Its definitely worth a visit - enjoy!

Fly P.

I love Lopburi. Nice, relaxed small town with a lot of history and ruins of palaces and temples intermixed with a regular small Thai town. Friendly people, not too much traffic. Awesome night food market near one of those huge roundabouts East of the old town.

> I'll be staying with my g/f there

I learned something about women in Lopburi: Girls really don't like it when monkeys crawl all over their hair.

When you go to that particular site near the railway station where most of the monkeys are, be sure not to wear glasses or (for her) earrings, or just anything else that can be yanked away. :) I got some real nice close-ups of monkeys on picture there. Some are quite friendly really, but others.. Not too different from board-members here really. :)

Have fun!!! It's a great little town.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi CF,

Although it is a bit off the general tourist`s agenda it is definitely worth a visit. And I met quite a few tourists while I was there.

The remains of the King Narai`s palace I found quite interesting and there are other ruins scattered throughout the town all besieged by macaques.

As the other posters have mentioned the shrine of the Kala is a popular spot with tourists and monkeys as well. They don`t really take no for an answer if you for instance carry a bag of peanuts around :)And I sure wouldn`t want a close encounter with their fangs.

I liked the town a lot as did my parents when I brought them there.

Cheers

hua nguu

I have no idea what is a jab. Lopburi is not that much off the beaten track, it's got 2 parts, the older city with all the ruins and the famous Sam Ched Yod and its monkeys, and the modern part. I have been there quite a few times at festival time (king Narai festival, in Feb, a grand affair worth the trip), and found the people not as congenial as other cities in Thailand, most likely an impression only.

Not tons of things to do around town, but sometimes, a slow rythm of can be part of a place's charm.

Archived