"Best Of" Gogo bar Songs

jxxxl

I was with a mate the other night and was talking about burning some CDs with the Best Of gogo bar songs from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Actually I'm most interested in the Viet Nam War era songs as I think these make for the best ambiance. It's way before my time, but the era seems to just work best for the environment. Can any of the veterans recommend a list of the top 15 songs? I certainly welcome the other eras too.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I have to offer is a 1996 cassette "Power Dance?", bought it on Walking Street. Seemed to include all the tunes they were playing in the bars at the time, such as Shampoo's "Uh-uh we're in trouble"... always conjures up images of chrome pole molesters for me wherever I am, to borrow a phrase from Asiabugle's Duncan Stearns.

A set of CDs that would bring back the memories and mammaries of the last 20 years would be a "must buy" for me.

Over to you, eyebee. Right up your alley. A special limited edition package? Pencil my name in for a subscription, mate.

:beer:

There are some songs I hear on the radio here in Farangland that instantly remind me of gogo bars, even though I mightn't like the song.

No Vietnam War songs here - too young to remember those days! - but for your info:

One Night In Bangkok (Murray Head)

The Final Countdown (Europe)

Brown Sugar (Rolling Stones)

Sha La La La La (The Venga Boys)

Back In Black (AC/DC)

One More Time (Britney Sa-Pears)

I Want It That Way (Backstreet Boys)

Sharp Dressed Man (ZZ Top)

Beds Are Burning (Midnight Oil)

Personally, I love hearing British music in the gogos (quality music!) but the music in the gogos seems to cater to an American market about 90% of the time. Maybe a hang-over from the Vietnam G.I. R&R days???

Guest lazyphil

<<Personally, I love hearing British music in the gogos (quality music!) but the music in the gogos seems to cater to an American market about 90% of the time. Maybe a hang-over from the Vietnam G.I. R&R days???>>

Yes the music of the USA is so inferior :rolleyes::banghead:

not sure of the title, but it goes

alice, who the fuck is alice....

don;t know where I'm going...don't know where I've been........

blah, blah, blah...about some dude that doesn't know his neighbor is a lady-boy.

I love that song...used to hear it all the time in Rainbow II about 6 years ago...never hear it any more...

Anybody know the song with the lyrics "kee-hok, baby, kee-hok cha-la-la"? It was a catchy tune that I heard many times during my first visit a couple of years ago.

Another catchy tune I remember had a vocal line like "bahng-bung bee-lang-a, bahng-bung bee-lang-a, bahng-bung-bung-bung-bung..." and so on. Ring any bells, anyone?

Cheers,

CDN

CDN,

The first one is definitely a song called "Faen Ja" by Tongchai McIntyre. He is universally known in Thailand as "P'Bird" by the locals. Its really catchy. Any record shop in Thailand will have it. The chorus of the song says "bullshit baby" in the various local dialects of Thailand - Isaan, Northern and Southern Thai. ("Kee tua baby", "kee jook baby", "kee hok baby"). It also features local "girl stars" Jintara, Nat and others.

By working out the 'rhythm' of the second song you mentioned, I THINK its a song called "Motorcy Haang" by a group from Buriram called "Rock Salaeng". Its sung in Isaan, and is about a poor school teacher with a beat-up motorbike. His gf is pissed off about being seen on this piece of crap and keeps hassling him to get a new one. The local cop pulls over and offers him a lift when the bike is broken down on the side of the road, and the guy's gf ends up running off with the policeman.

I'm pretty sure this is the song you mean. Its an "Isaan Girl" favourite.

Hope this helps.

Fly P.

Archived