Anybody live in the country?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am happy to live in a boring place on a boring beach near a boring town. Considering moving to an even more boring place, would like to live in a mountain area but the gf refuses to move to such a place...she would prefer living in her village of origin. Not sure I would like that boring place...Life is hard for sure...difficult decisions....

Quote:

"I think being in the country let's you slow down, and puts things in perspective. But living that introspective life on a continual basis, would also drive me batty after a while. There would be to much of a lack of stimulation, both mental, and physical. Swingin' in the hammock all day is great. But retirement kills. I personally need a more stimulating/active life than that."

It can be slow, but if I was living in the country now, I would be fermenting all kinds of things, growing all kinds of things, and seeing exactly what I could do. In the past, I use to grow food organically. I also had a large garden which some would call a small farm. I made my own rose hip syrup, I ate my fill of huckleberry pies, mulburry pies, made my own vinegar, raised my own chickens and ducks. I loved to watch the blue herons take off from the water, the bald eagle flying around, the beavers swimming in the water and the deer grazing in the fields. In many ways, I feel home sick for not being able to get my hands into the dirt, pollinate the tomatoes and all the other things associated with growing things. I remember once I hand dug a pond. When I finished that and it filled up with water, I would water my plants by siphoning the water from the pond. Free water and the flow of the water was free also. If I could do it over again, I would like to be upon a small mountain or tall hill and have a ram jet pump my water up to the top for free. Maybe terrace the slope and allow free pumped water to irrigate the crops. The more I think about it, the more things come to my mind as to what I would like to do. Maybe ex-engineers still have active minds?

MightyMouse said:

Quote:

"I think being in the country let's you slow down, and puts things in perspective. But living that introspective life on a continual basis, would also drive me batty after a while. There would be to much of a lack of stimulation, both mental, and physical. Swingin' in the hammock all day is great. But retirement kills. I personally need a more stimulating/active life than that."

It can be slow, but if I was living in the country now, I would be fermenting all kinds of things, growing all kinds of things, and seeing exactly what I could do. In the past, I use to grow food organically. I also had a large garden which some would call a small farm. I made my own rose hip syrup, I ate my fill of huckleberry pies, mulburry pies, made my own vinegar, raised my own chickens and ducks. I loved to watch the blue herons take off from the water, the bald eagle flying around, the beavers swimming in the water and the deer grazing in the fields. In many ways, I feel home sick for not being able to get my hands into the dirt, pollinate the tomatoes and all the other things associated with growing things. I remember once I hand dug a pond. When I finished that and it filled up with water, I would water my plants by siphoning the water from the pond. Free water and the flow of the water was free also. If I could do it over again, I would like to be upon a small mountain or tall hill and have a ram jet pump my water up to the top for free. Maybe terrace the slope and allow free pumped water to irrigate the crops. The more I think about it, the more things come to my mind as to what I would like to do. Maybe ex-engineers still have active minds?

I remember asking about buying land on a hill and was told by more than one person that you cant - something to do with the fact that they are normal Wat land or owned by the government. Outside of Phuket, asking a builder to build something on a hill and you will get some wierd looks along the lines of "what is this stupid farang on ::"

You could of course buy somewhere about 20km's inland from Pattaya and you would never know you are anywhere near it - big hills, lakes, no traffic etc - very peacefull yet supermarkets, hospitals, cinemas (and Girls ::) just a short drive away....

Hi MM,

You may want to read the posts of a board member based upcountry in Issarn - Cent.

He has posted a wide array of tales from an upcountry village in Issarn.

A very good read indeed.

If you use the search facility on the board in the forum "Stories" I am sure that you will find them.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived