Anybody live in the country?

>Surely you exaggerate, I get Heineken at the village .

In the biggest shop, they had half a crate and God knows how old it was. Cans vere under the shelf, dusty but still recognizable.

In another "supermarket" I found Singha but later it tasted somewhat stale. Obviously, chang and leo (in large bottles) is what goes well.

>My wife always brings (ediable) food for me to eat, though I usually sit (on the floor) eat least one meal a day with everyone. It can be some really nasty looking stuff.

Now, I must admit: 5 days there and I lived on plain rice soup and toast and jar of jam. Could not even look at what they were eating. As there were no set meal times they noticed that I haven't been eating anything just the day before we left.

>The house has a western bathroom? This must be in the city.

Yes, I built it. Hot shower too. Real beds, real walls, tiles, doors and windows for each room.

A large, party size covered porch for sitting outside.

City - not really, a large village, about 20K people, maybe less.

Pity I did not enjoy staying there. Not enjoying BKK either.

Not on the beach.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I should explain the hienken comes from the provincial capital, about 40 minutes away.

"Pity I did not enjoy staying there. "

I know what you mean. The novelty has sure worn off for me. We don't stay long now, since the daughter is in boarding school.

TH

We have often talked about it. In the past I've only stayed there for a few days, and given the views and condition of the house we would live in should I/we take the plunge, I imagine it could be fun, but I imagine I would bore eventually. The part time city/country is the only way it would work for me, not impossible, as her place is only an hour from BKK.

I think it just comes down to personality. There are city folk, and there are country folk. I spent a couple of days in the Thai countryside my last visit. Was not unlike living out in the boonies in the US. Well, a few differences maybe ("HT, why you take so long in shower this morning"? "Well tirak, this hole in ground squat toilet DOES NOT COME WITH DIRECTIONS" :cussing:) There are pro's and con's, just like anywhere else. :)

For me, the best world is where I could travel between the two. There are many aspects, I like of both. My country raised g/f is the same way. She lives now in BKK, but cannot go 2 weeks without taking the 3 hour bus ride home for the weekend.

I think being in the country let's you slow down, and puts things in perspective. But living that introspective life on a continual basis, would also drive me batty after a while. There would be to much of a lack of stimulation, both mental, and physical. Swingin' in the hammock all day is great. But retirement kills. I personally need a more stimulating/active life than that.

Now if they put a major all-girls college in Nakhon Anywhere, and built a BTS platform in front of my grass hut, with a Rainbow IV a-go-go underneath (Happy hour 7am till 5am)......well, I could very well resign myself to being a 'country boy', through and through. ::

HT

>Samui only has a Lotus, since a bit over a year. No movie theatre.

The nightlife is good though!!

I believe you but you are talking from the second most famous tourist area in Thai (excluding Pattaya).

I could hack life on the beach in a tropical paradise too.

At first, life upcountry is not that boring. Interesting and nice things happen there too...until you realize that it's you who broke the boredom and made something happen there. What when it's worn off?

We were going out for day trips every day, taking friends, family and their children with us.

My fear is, once settled and no more novety around you, the simplicity and usophistication of life there will start biting.

Retirement, maybe, but hardly even then. Hell, I am finding BKK inferior to Sydney or Melbourne, not to mention Tokyo.

(Nightlife is not under my radar any more)

Fair chunk of time before my retirement, I may change. For now, the cities rule.

P.S. Should not this thread go to Family Life?

Archived