Treatment for gout - amputation

Was talking to a Thai lady who said her father had gout (was 73 years old). He big toe was infected. She took him to a clinic and they amputated the toe. Gout is one of the easily health problems to control. Amputation is not one of the options. She later showed me the clinic. It is run by a falang and it was a falang that removed the toe. Shortly after, her father the amputation, he died. Some claim Thai medicine is no good, but I have no problems with it. I think one of the problems with Thai medicine maybe when falangs play doctor as in this case.

I got this a couple years ago , when first appeared , I thought it was a broken bone in my foot. I went to hospital for x-ray , came back negative , next day pain and swelling gone. Months later happened again , big toe hurting , swollen and red. Went to doctor and 1 look at it he said " gout " Gave me some pills , took them for 1 week and gone ( but not forgotten ) I still have a stash of the pills onhand incase of return and I always take some when I travel.

BadagoutlessBing :angel:

Think this post is alarmingly anecdotal.....gout is not an infection ....it is a metabolic disorder..the connection between the amputation and his death is rather menacingly hinted at but somehow not established....need more information I think

rompandadam said:

"gout is not an infection ....it is a metabolic disorder"

If I remember the explaination my doctor gave me correctly , it was something to the fact of the body producing excess acids that somehow gather in the big toe and then " crystalize" , the history of reported gout goes back some 300 years when a King somewhere had it.

Bada :cover: Bing

Yeah, you're right. Uric acid buildup can precipitate into the toe joints (and other places). Reducing the intake of foods containing purines can help. Meats like liver, kidneys, etc, contain high levels of purines. But the symptoms of gout can be from other causes, such as calcium deposits in the joints. The term 'pseudo gout' is used for such cases. Taking anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofin helps. Also, wearing wider shoes can take some of the pressure off the afflicted toe.

Auricman

As far as I recall farangs are not allowed to work in a medical position here, including ownership of a clinic.

You're right, not allowed.

Surprises me whenever I see ads in the newspaper asking for medical staff either Thai or expatriates. ::

Auricman wrote

'Yeah, you're right. Uric acid buildup can precipitate into the toe joints (and other places). Reducing the intake of foods containing purines can help'.

Apart from the environment (eating the wrong foods) seems worth mentioning there may be a genetic factor which predisposes the sufferer to the condition which means he doesnt process the precursors to uric acid very well...

danish30 said:

As far as I recall farangs are not allowed to work in a medical position here, including ownership of a clinic.

that is a bit new to me. in several international hospitals, including bumrungrad i have known foreign doctors practising legally. also, years ago, the doctor for WBC worldchampionship fights here for the thai boxers was a farang.

also in many NGO's such as MSF you have foreign doctors both practising, teaching and researching.

Archived