Water Proofing Babies!

Nervous_Dog

Jing-Joe has finally gotten over her fear of swimming to the extent that she now demands most days to go swimming, which is a tad difficult seeing as we don't have a pool!

Never miind, there is always the Nana where we usually have some friend staying there.

She now is happy to try and swim/drown with out her floaties even!

In Aus, you can "Water-Proof" your kidsat a very early age. I have seen kids this has been done too and its amazing!

no I am not talking along the lines of "If Leather shrinks in water why don't Cows shrink in the rain".

I am refering to a method of teaching VERY (3 months old I have seen) kids SWIMMING, well, floating and not drowning.

Does anyone now of any one who has good swimming schools in Bangers?

I have all my swimming certificates and lifesaving medals curtasy of living on the Gold COast for a while up to INstrcutors, but would like to send the kid and wife and various relatives of to somewhere more formal than JB's "Learn to Drink and Swim" school for recovering or committed alcholics.

JB

Sorry, this isn't an answer to your question but isn't it a well-known fact that very young babies can swim quite happily by default? I.e. they know how to breathe underwater if you throw them in a pool - a fact which Nirvana took full advantage of for their cover of 'Nevermind'. (Though how they got the baby to reach for a dollar, I don't know. All the babies I know won't stretch out for less than ten.)

That's one of the two things babies do naturally. That and automatically squeeze your finger when you place it in the palm of your hand. Really. That's the point of babies.

I believe that if this is not done at a very early age <6months as I recall, then the 'natural' ability disappears. Back to the regular stuff then I presume.

And there is no poitive stuff on the web that pops up. There is this however

Aqua-Tots

Sukhumvit said:

Interesting.

How do babies breathe underwater though? It's not as if they have gills. Anyone know the answer?

Of course not. In fact drowning is the 3rd leading cause of deaths in infants and toddlers :(

I have seen a documentary showing a few days old baby swimming

underwater. They don't breathe of course, they seem to have a

natural reflex to block the intake of air (just like they did

in the womb).

I'm taking my 6 months old daughter to her first swimming lesson

next weekend. I talked to the instructor and she told me that

they don't even start to teach babies to swim properly until

they are about 2 and a half years old and understand instructions.

At this stage they just play in the water in order to become

familiar with it and overcome any fear. Not that my little one

needs any of this - she is absolutely ecstatic when daddy takes

her into the pool and swims her around.

Are you in THailand at all?

Interesting found the Ambasador hotel has swim lessons for 200 baht an hour, cheaper than learning thai!

JingJoe is quite indepoendant, almost dangerously so, she likes to swim with us, and then off to the side on her own.

5 months away from lessons I see ;)

JB

JB try Bangkopk Dolphins on sukumvit 49/9 telephone

027129297...also, on a related note, there is baby gmnastics at 'little gym' 8th floor emporium.

I took my child swimming all the time in Europe from when was a few months old..now seven years later he is very confident/competent in the water

Archived