Nakhn Pathom - directions and attractions?

Stickman

I want to go and check out Nakhon Pathom this week. I?ve never been there and it sounds like an interesting spot. What is the easiest way to get there by car i.e. are there any expressways that go out in that direction? Where does one get off the expressway? Any directions would be great. Also, any hints of what to see and do apart from the big temple would be great too.

Stick

Only been there 2 times for a very short while. Nothing very interesting, that I know about there. Same road there that you take for Rose Garden. Some will know better, but whatever road that goes by the Zoo and King's residence, takes you to a bridge over the river, and just stay on that all the way out (Ratcha Withi?). That turns into Highway 338, which is a major roadway. Exit for NP will be marked (50 clicks out of BKK)

My understanding is the Catholic church owns tons of land out there (Rose garden is owned by them?). Read somewhere is the oldest town in Thailand, but not much is left of original ruins (I could be wrong about this).

HT

Hi Stick,

I went there twice with TGF. A taxi from Pratunam cost 250 baht. Beside Phra Pathom Chedi, there's a museum with a big collection of Dvaravati finds. Further west is Sanam Chan Palace with a big park. The city is rather uninteresting and so is the university.

elef

Nakorn Pathom.

First, am I the only one that can't see Stick's Avatar ?

Second, I agree with the other posters that Nakorn Pathom is basically a traffic congested place that you need to pass to get to Kanchantaburi.

Difficult to explain how to get there, but easy to do with a map. You can go two directions over the Rama 9 Bridge (expressway) or over the Pinklao Bridge.

Cheers!

take either the Pinklao bridge, or the new Rama one. Keep on the elevated highway as far as it goes (this is past Nakon Chaisi, *don't* take the turn down to Pinklao). Down on the "nonevevated" bit and keep going until you run out of road, then turn left and keep goping again until you hit Nakorn Pathom. Its pretty well sign posted.

Go see the largest Chedai in (the world?/Thailand not sure which, but its big).

Or you could take the train from Hulalu (however the f*ck its spelt). If I recall correctly, the early train stops in NP for about an hour before heading of to Kanchanaburi....

-j-

Guest lazyphil

Been once--inlaws family live quite nearby--some festival at the giant Chedi going on when I was there, too many people and too hot, it was purgatory! (no idea what route we took going, sorry!)

Go see the largest Chedai in (the world?/Thailand not sure which, but its big).

Not the largest Chedi in the world, but the tallest in Thailand - from memory 127m tall. (About 400 feet for you imperial-ists!) Its a large temple complex and well worth a look.

Or you could take the train from Hulalu (however the f*ck its spelt). If I recall correctly, the early train stops in NP for about an hour before heading of to Kanchanaburi....

You can get the train from Hualamphong, but there's really only one early one in the morning (that is the railcar that goes to Surat Thani), and then the afternoon trains, but they're impractical for a day trip. There are also a couple of trains a day from Bangkok Noi station on the Thonburi side, which are quicker than the trains from Hualamphong.

But if you've got a car its much quicker (depending on the traffic of course! :banghead:)

As well as the chedi, there's a great fruit market there (The Talaat Bon), which is a short walk on the north side of the chedi from memory. They have a really nice specialty dish there - khaaw lam, with is sticky rice and black beans cooked in bamboo - sounds awful but is really yummy.

There's a palace there - Sanaam Chan - which is about 2km west of the chedi. It was built by Rama.... VI (I think!), and is surrounded by a nice park.

You've also got the Rose Garden close by, but its quite touristy and gets packed with tour coaches in the afternoon.

Hope this helps!

(Sorry if any info majorly wrong - all done from memory at work! :doah:)

Fly P.

Archived