recomendatons for eye clinics/hospitals

dean

I had an injury to my left eye in February which caused blurrier vision in the eye, leakage of fluid behind the eye, which causes floating spots across the eye periodically and the pupil is open/wide, so in direct sunlight, I can not see much out of the eye ( prescription sunglasses take care of that problem). I have seen an optomoligist, who said that the eye will not get any worse but probably will not get any better. I will be in Bangkok in about 6 months and was considering having the eye looked at and, hopefully, options given to me, including surgery. I have no health insurance, so I assume that the price will be considerably cheaper in Bangkok than in the U.S. I would prefer a hospital /clinic that specializes in eye treatment , like Rutnin eye clinic but would prefer recommendations from other Nanaplaza members before comiting to one place. I might even consider laser surgery on both eyes but that is not as important to me as repairing the left eye.

I went to Rutnin 3 months ago because of an infection of my eyes and I was not happy with them. They gave me the same treatment that I had started myself and that did not help (that is why I went there in the first place). Talking about the possibility of chlamydia was a big no-no (doctor was female).

I went to Bumrungrad later, much better, quite expensive... and my eyes are still not ok.

BTW both places checked my vision and the way they did it was quite superficial. Thailand is not the first choice for vision problems. Thais have relatively good eyes (they don't study as much as the Chinese) and they don't care much about poor eyesight, few people wear glasses (not beautiful) and even less wear contacts (expensive).

I e-mailed Rutnin and two other hospitals in Bangkok that have extensive websites dealing with eye problems adn haven't heard from any of them as of yet. I don't mind wearing glasses (I refinish hardwood floors for a living and the dust and fumes prevent me from wearing contacts) and with glasses, the vision in my left eye is near the vision in my right eye. I have some fluid behind the eye which causes spots to float across my vision in my left eye and my pupil is wide open, so I have to wear sunglasses in bright light. I was in Thailand for the month of February and had extensive dental work done (2 crowns replaced and 4 lanrge fillings replaced with gold inlays), so I thought that I would let the clinic with the most experience treating eye injuries treat my left eye. The doctor that I saw after the accident told me that I might need cataract surgery in a year, so I'll probably wait until January to do anything, as I'll be back in Thailand for three weeks. If I can't find anyone that I would trust doing it, I'll have it done in the U.S. Thats assuming that what I have is treatable.

Hopefully you have been diagnosed by a competent doctor already and know the extent of your eye injury. Some of the symptoms you describe are similar to Macular degeneration which is the leading cause of blindness in people over 50 (or so). I would get it checked out as soon as possible because early diagnosis and laser surgery can limit the extent of the damage. Good luck.

I have had the eye checked out and the Doctor said that my type of work and the dust and fumes could not further damage the eye. I've been a regular viewer of this site for 10 months now and you would think that I would have taken to heart the advise given on staying out of fights with Thais. I was in Thailand for February and the last week, on Sukhumvit (about soi 13), I got into an argument with a street vendor, a few punches were thrown (mainly by him) and the next thing I know, someone from behind hit me over the head with a chair. It caused cuts above both eyes and a minor broken nose. But it did close my left eye for 2 days and other than when the Doctor shined a flashlight into the eye, there was no vision. This eye had been hit by a rock when I was twelve, so I figure that I have one more hit to the eye before going blind in it. I will go to see a Doctor to have my options spelled out, and hopefully have some of the problems corrected. I've worn glasses since my first eye accident, so glasses don't bother me but I would prefer to maintain the vision that I have left in the eye, if I can't improve the vision. I do turn 51 tomarrow, so I am in the older group that you mentioned, so I'll take your advise.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to visit Bangkok from May 29-June 12. This should give the doctors at Rutnin Clinic the time to examine my eye and decide the course of action, if any is available. I am assuming that Lasic surgery is not an option now, as the fluid behind the eye would have to be corrected first. Whatever I have done, I'll be back in January for 18 days, so I can have a six month check-up of the eyes. In the meantime, if anyone can recommend any other hospitals or clinics, I would appreciate it.

Archived