Ting

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most would say your ting is more along the lines of ba ba bow bow, ba maak luey, or ha sip ha sip. :)

Face it, at this point in your life, your tong has long left its ting.

HT

Before I derail my own thread any further, I did also want to know when to use 'awk' by itself, as opposed to 'awk bai'. Or is 'awk' just a shortened slang of 'awk bai' (like as in 'tang' for the proper word 'satang', wat dee for sawatdee, etc.). Thanks again.

HT

HIGH THAIED said:

I'm not clear on this one, and g/f is having trouble explaining.

ting = means 'throw away, discard". It can also mean "leave". She says can also mean numerous other things. ::

awk bai = leave/depart.

Which would I use in these examples:

I want you to leave.

leave me alone.

I do remember 'awk'/'awk bai' meaning "depart" (when will the boat awk bai).

What are the rules on the word 'leave' (awk vs. ting)?

Thanks guys, in advance. ::

HT

Hi

My says that these are not to good between BF/GF.

Ting bai....i leave ..i go

Awk bai...go way..go away from me

Hope you guys are ok :)

Hi ht,

AFAIK "Ting" means throw away and is used also to mean "leave" in the sense of dumping a GF or BF.

"Leave" in the sense of just going somewhere else, with no implication of relationship breakdown is awk bai.

"I want you to leave" would be Yaak hay khun awk bai, I think.

I want you to leave me alone - don't know. Yaak yuu khon diaw - I want to be alone? :dunno:

Khwai

Hi TB,

Hahahaha. I was thinking of putting a disclaimer in that post.

We MSN a lot, and for practice, she will write out a long sentence in Thai, and I will reproduce in pasa Angrit for her.

The sentence was something like, "I will die for sure if I cannot be with you in real, and you leave me alone like this forever".

I got it all, except her use of "ting". It's not in any of my books, and it threw me for a loop. When I asked her, she said means 'leave' (this was last night).

Today I asked a Thai speaking friend here about it, and she said means, 'throw away/discard". So when I asked my long-haired dictionary tonight, she said 'can, but also can mean 'leave', and many other things".

Hense my question here. Don't worry, TB...all is very well in HT-land. :-)

HT

Hi khwaimaisabai,

>>>>>AFAIK "Ting" means throw away and is used also to mean "leave" in the sense of dumping a GF or BF.>>>>

OK....that would make a lot of sense. Basiclly saying, "don't throw me away (as in, 'don't toss/discard me away').

Makes total sense now. Thanks! I'd buy you a beer, but gremlins are not working well tonight. :-(

HT

Archived