Expat Advice Giver Payback?????

milford

Just an idea.

All of you expats that live in Thailand provide very much useful information to us that don't or can't be in the LOS as often as we would like.

Your advice saves us and especially newbies a lot of Baht.

Maybe we could repay the favor by bringing certain items to you guys that you can't get in Thailand.

I'm not talking about big dollar items or whatever, but I know when I've spoken to expats when I have been there they would have given a left nut to have this little item or that little item.

Maybe we could have a thread with a wish list posting and some of us could sign up to bring you folks a gift or two and if their is any big dollar value item, maybe that could be worked out too.

Just a thought, but it seems like a good thing to do if we could figure out some way to make it work.

Regards,

Milford

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting idea. I'll be quite interested in hearing from the expats and seeing the WISH LIST.

When I was away from the Western economy for several weeks, I remember missing the following:

1. Jolly Rancher (a USA brand name) fruit-flavored candy, especially cherry-flavored.

2. Fresh milk, not the ultra-pasteurized stuff that you buy off-the-shelf, but the variety that must be refrigerated. (Is this variety of milk unique to the USA?)

3. Premium low-fat ice cream or frozen yogurt.

4. Beef jerkey. (In case there are non-Americans that don't know what this is, it's dried, lean beef that's seasoned and packaged in a vacuum-sealed plastic pouch, and it's extremely tasty and low in fat content)

5. Kelloggs (USA name brand) Raisin Bran cereal.

6. Contact lens solution that contains protein removal ingredients so you don't have to soak your lens once-a-week in a totally different solution.

7. Caffeine-free, Diet Coca-cola.

8. Florida orange juice.

teacherwannabe,

As something of a newbie expat, I appreciate the offer. I was a bit surprised by some of the items on your list, though. The next time you're in LOS I'd be happy to show you where you can get beef jerkey that puts to shame anything you might find in Maryland. It'll also be hard for me if I ever have to step back down to Florida O.J. smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by kohchaiBKK:

teacherwannabe,

As something of a newbie expat, I appreciate the offer. I was a bit surprised by some of the items on your list, though. The next time you're in LOS I'd be happy to show you where you can get beef jerkey that puts to shame anything you might find in Maryland. It'll also be hard for me if I ever have to step back down to Florida O.J.
smile.gif" border="0

]

Orange Juice ? For me it's the Pineaples, we get them from everwhere in the world here in Canada

except the S.E Asian variety. And really what's the

point in buying it once youve had the real thing.

quote:

Originally posted by kohchaiBKK:

teacherwannabe,

As something of a newbie expat, I appreciate the offer. I was a bit surprised by some of the items on your list, though. The next time you're in LOS I'd be happy to show you where you can get beef jerkey that puts to shame anything you might find in Maryland. It'll also be hard for me if I ever have to step back down to Florida O.J.
smile.gif" border="0

I LOVE beef jerkey. I CAN'T wait!

Re: orange juice. Whenever I ordered OJ, I would get an orange-colored liquid, but it didn't taste anything like OJ to me. It tasted more like Kool-Aid. That's why I missed FL OJ!

Teacherwannabe,

A lot, perhaps even most, of the street venders water their OJ down and add sugar. Not all, though. You just have to know where to go. There's a little old lady just up the street from me that spends a good chunk of the day squeezing oranges. I'm one of her best customers. I stop by every morning. 20 baht for a small bottle. 35 baht for a large. They're the small oranges.

P.S.- I lived in Columbia, Md for 20 years before coming here, and never tasted better

smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

milford,

this is a very thoughtful and kind offer and surely apppreciated by many.

Now, I for my part can't think of anything, NOTHING WHATSOEVER, which I would like/need from the Western world, least of all food-wise as other posters seem to do.

Does that mean I've "gone native"? Have I - Gods of all the Nordic skies forbid - "gone troppo"? I guess so.

In fact, I enjoy my infrequent short trips to the West in so far as they make me realise how happy I am where I am ... Don't need a thang, bro!

Sincere thanks and all the best, SB.

quote:

Originally posted by milford:

Maybe we could repay the favor by bringing certain items to you guys that you can't get in Thailand.

Cool. Can you bring over a Taco Bell?

I'll side with Scum-baggio I don't miss any food items, I can even get Stilton Cheese if I want it.

I could do with a good plumber and a electrician who knows how to hide his wiring. (don't you just hate that spiders web of wiring you can see just out of the window?)

I'd also like a British Ordnance Survey map to show the Thais how to make a map. This would be a major challenge, I recently saw an army map near Sanklaburi at the Burma border, it may as well have said "here be dragons" and "not to scale".

Archived