women from Udon Thani

I have noticed that there seems to be a great number of women from Udon looking for farang boyfriends/husbands.

The relationship websites are full of them. The numbers

seem to out of proportion to the rest of the country.

I know it is a poor area economically but all of issan is poor.

I know there was a large farang military presence there in

the Vietnam days but the same could be said of Khorat and

Ubon. Do any of you have any comment to make on this

phenomenon? I spent two months in Thailand last year. It

was my first trip to LOS and I am well and truely hooked.

I am making plans to come back this year. I really

appreciate this forum and thanks to all the posters who

so freely share their insights and experience.

DJ46

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
davidjohn said:

I have noticed that there seems to be a great number of women from Udon looking for farang boyfriends/husbands.

<snipped>

Do any of you have any comment to make on this

phenomenon?

<snipped>

I know several girls from Udonthani. All are current or former uni students. Some are now looking for legit jobs and a few are/have been involved in the BKK go-go biz to one degree or another. Ages are 23-27.

Udonthani, as u pointed out, was home to a lot of GI's 35 years ago. I think a lot have gone back and retired. I was in Udonthani last month, and can attest that u see a lot of farang in the city...and they don't seem to be tourists. So, acceptance of being married to a farang may be more easily acquired by both the girl and the guy.

My Thai friend (female) and some of her friends who can read/write English sufficiently have participated in some chat groups. But they have dismissed most of the farang as "sex hungry" and not particularly smart or marriage material. They laugh at many of the guys...guys saying "I love you" without even so much as seeing a photo ! Some have dropped out of the chat rooms because they get tired of the same "BS".

Most of the girls I know from Udonthani are not necessarily looking for a farang husband per se....but are open to the possibility should they meet a suitable mate. They seem to be just as open to a suitable Thai guy. They are not desperate--just widening their potential opportunities to find the right guy. Some have expressed their belief that an older farang won't "butterfly" as much as a young Thai guy (and it's probably true). Plus, an older farang (or younger farang) is usually in a much more secure financial position to take care of her and any children they might have.

As a side note, I was in an internet cafe in Udonthani and had a female in her school uniform sit down at a puter next to mine. She was going through her email...all seemed to be in English. I really didn't read it, so don't know what was being communicated. But I can attest that there are quite a few "chatters" who ARE students...based on my observation and what the Udon girls have told me.

The Udon girls don't seem to be quite as materialistic as the BKK girls. But give 'em time :-)

You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

I know it is a poor area economically but all of issan is poor

-----------------------------

Things have changed. If we talk villages, yes, but the big cities, poor does not quite fit. Places like Ubon, Korat, Khon Khaen seem to have gained quite a lot of affluence, on the roads, witness the constant flow of SUVs and new pick up trucks. No Eldorado, but....

Now, it could be that Udon is still challenged economically, or that the history of contacts (any) of the city with farangs has been more developped than other places. Ubon, for example, has very few farangs, either staying or visiting, whereas Udon is on the way to a now very popular broder cross in Nong Khai.

Still, Buri ram and Korat surrounding villages are still most often quoted when it comes to the poorest, and stand with udon as often quoted as places of birth by BGs. I guess they may have a headstart as far as looking for farangs.....

Just a few thoughts.

WYD, Desperately poor? Over the 12 years of travelling to Udon, I see a noticeable increase in the general standard of living, evidenced by more traffic, people coming out of shopping centres loaded up. Growth in Home marts, Makro's, Lotus big C. Extremely dry, sure! right now, but anyone there during the wet season wouldn't say extremely dry.

Not a great place to live? I disagree, Its has plenty of attractions nearby, National parks, you can be out in the country in 15 mins, You can do a great drive along the Mae kong to Loie and back in a day. Vientane in a couple of hours. And the place has a wealth of GREAT girls, nothing like the stuck up bitches you get in BKK, more like Thai girls used to be. And all this with clean air.

But compared to most other provinces it is more third world. Remember how huge the province is. Muang Udom thani is only a small part of the province. I was extremely saddened about the sights i witnessed there and got out of there as soon as I could. Maybe if I stayed around longer, I would have seen it in a different light. The only way I will be stopping there again is just to get the air asia flight back to BKK.

Guest lazyphil

Its relative to your exposure and tolerance to bkk I think as most people on a 2 week package I know in los starting in bkk say how unlivable bkk seems compared to the rest of the time on Phi Phi etc. Plenty of depressing sights/slums in bkk.

"But compared to most other provinces it is more third world"

Probably right, but even in the villages there is development going on as the girls that have "struck the gold mine" build their Mansions. In my wife's village (fairly typical one at that) there are 5-6 large houses built in the last 3 years and 3 more going up now, average cost 4-5 mill with one costing 11.5 mill. All this activity has a trickle down, the local builders wife drives a new CRV and has enough gold to support her own shop. Many of the locals involved in the building have brought vehicles and to my amazement there is even a deicated coffee stall in business.

If that progress is replicated in many villages imagine the revenue being pumped into the local economy.

Archived