women from Udon Thani

Chongnoi,

<<Some have expressed their belief that an older farang won't "butterfly" as much as a young Thai guy (and it's probably true). Plus, an older farang (or younger farang) is usually in a much more secure financial position to take care of her and any children they might have.>>

Words full of wisdom and hope. Although the old falang/less butterflying aspect might be the biggest disappointment that ever happened in Udon Thani.

BuBi

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably explains why only 2% of tourist go to issan. Bangkok is bad enough, but compared to places like Kalasin, Udom thani, Roi et, Bangkok is in another class. I presume most tourist would not be able to survive that long there.

Glad to here about Udom improving. I think with the airport, laos opening up and air asia flying there for 99B+ it will help the economy and its image. Still dont think you will see many bangkokians travelling up there.

Guest lazyphil

<<Still dont think you will see many bangkokians travelling up there>>

True, my mrs has only been on the odd trip to a Khmer style temple up there somewhere which I forget which one?

Probably explains why only 2% of tourist go to issan. Bangkok is bad enough, but compared to places like Kalasin, Udom thani, Roi et, Bangkok is in another class. I presume most tourist would not be able to survive that long there.

-----------------------------

I wonder if you just like to pester without thinking about what you post. Why the need to survive for tourists? ::

You also presume that tourists go to Thailand to stay in BKK, whereas most guys i know who have nothing to do in BKK (not working) leave it ASAP, after visiting the required sights (one day). Save the "classy" Suk sex tourists, of course.

I think your post shows that after years of staying in Thailand, you seem just another sheltered expat, speaking on prejudices rather than reality, ready to judge and give the low-down on any place that does not accommodate your western tastes. Free of you to only pass thru regions you do not wish to know, but do not talk about it, because you very simply don't know, of your own volition.

I love Udon, for reasons I will keep to myself, I wont go boring you all to pieces with the story..

but overall I feel that Udon is no longer some poor city in issarn, for me, each time i see it, it seems bigger, better and a hell of a lot busier than my last visit.

Some fabulous hotels to stay in at a fraction of the cost of bkk, enough falang entertainment venues to keep most falangs (well me anyway :) ) happy enough during their stay.

A seemingly much more hospitable bunch of poeple up there (no offence intended to thais from outside of udon).

Speaking to the wife about the female needs falang situation up there, she reckons that it is very very difficult for a woman to get a 'decent' hubby up there. It is only the educated male thais who seem to be able to look after their wives/family well enough, the losers are always out on the p**s.

Now i cant realy comment on my wifes views, because i am sure there are similar situations all over los, but i am sure it is viable to a degree.

Heres my opinion.

I know your well read on the board. But re-consider postings that girls from regions generally work together. If you had the experience of finding 2 bars (not necesarily next to each other ?) That had Udon girls, then that's self explanitory.

Apart from that and addressing some other posters coments. I would have to say that not too far back Udon/Udorn must have been somewhat economically deprived. After my first visit to Thailand 14 years ago. I was so thrilled with my experience that I wanted to give back in, needing a tax write off I got a foster child. Udon Thani, or a small village nearby.

Since my second vist I have been surprised what changwat Udorn Thani presents. In my second visit (visiting said pen-pal) the hotels it had even at that time 2 good hotel selections for a rural locale. And in the the third visit the shoping centers it had even 8 years ago. Now this year visiting I notice there were SEVERAL ferang orientated venues. Both near the old shoping center (for tourists) as well as a couple of resteruants near the train station. (enjoyed that :-)

Udon Thani may have been looked over for some time after the bombing runs to the ho-chi-minh trail, but whether it's because of over flow from the Nong Khai scene, or sucesful girls reporting back home with wealthy husbands, It looks like Udorn is near the break through level.

I have seen many areas in thailand develop during my stagered visits. And it has the innitial signs of a few prosperouse venues.

And what does it offer that those of us who do not appreciate rural lifestyles or their people? Ban Chiang, relation to an old air force base, and proximity to Nong Khai.

I always thought of it as a last reserve , but see it as good as gone to the hounds now.

P.S. When I visited that resteraunt near the train station, apparently it was the peculiar time of season when a lot of lucky girls made their anual pilgrimage returns home with their ferang husbands. (if that justifies my perceptions for some)

Mind you it has to be one of the really healthy areas for entry level property/home ownership.

Seems to me there is a distinct difference between how people here view Udon Thani. Funny though how the proponents of it is a developed place seem to point at the development the city has seen, yet make no mention of the actual levels of development regarding the province itself( a city does not a province make). Also new homes and pick up trucks are not an indicator of a burgeoning economy. Most of that stuff could be financed with debt. Reminds me of BKK around 1996 new cars and building construction everywhere but no one was paying the bills.

You want to see how well the province is doing then u have to leave the city and go visit the rest of the 99.99% of the province. When I last visited it was hard for me to gauge how well the province was doing. I saw a growing city, factories and other projects in development but I also saw alot of poverty and no economic opportunities in the various villages I visited. For every brand new modern home I saw in a village there was close to 50 shacks of tin and wood.

the shacks, tin & wood can be found in all provinces including central bkk so who are we trying to kid here?

well I know a certain guy who wanted to kid the rest of the world by use of some large apec banners & such, but I guess it worked & few people around the world realise how poor people really are in the developing countries, 3rd world etc.

to find that out takes genuine interest, knowledge & bit of wit & then plenty of time out & about & preferably hanging around with some locals as opposed to 2nd best just observing & reading up on stuff...

of course being a member of NP ice long helps also along with knowing the word 'expat' :sleeping:

:D

so where exactly is the poorest town, area, province?

I have no particular knowledge on udon thani, but might take a guess at say aranyaphathek?, trat (province), roy et or some remote hilltribe areas OFF the dope growing being ok candidates to wodden shack champion numero uno ;)

Archived