women from Udon Thani

They outnumber the girls from the north by a large margin.

-----------------------------

Not untrue, but it may be a bit more complex than that. There is a definite "pipeline", well-oiled that brings more girls from a specific Issan region than from another, and I am not reallly sure it is because these regions are poorer. Think of Buri ram, at times it seems that half the girls you ask say they come from there. Add Korat and Udon to that.

And still, there are poor villages all over Issan.

Also, we think Issan because that pipeline brings them where guys like them, apparently farangs, us. That still leaves the oft-quoted rest of the iceberg, the humongous local and migrant thai/thai prostitution and its taste for northern or wherenot, girls of fairer features.

Shall we just agree that a lot of people are poor all over thailand, then? I'll go with that.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Udon, as it was pointed out, was a major military base in the war, and there are still a lot of farangs there. The CIA has been active there since the war (it's hardly a secret that that big radio tower there supposedly meant to boost Voice of America broadcasts is actually a listening post into China; one of my non-CIA colleagues was involved in its construction), and with all of that (military, farangs, CIA), the girls there might have had better opportunities or motivation to learn English. Hence, they might feel better trying to contact farangs.

the most important part of my answer to HuaNguu was given by p127

I want to add the following:

I personally know 9 gold diggers (just like OP I am not talking about professional CSWs here) from Udon (at least that's what I can remember now). None is poor. 7 of them are from families who own a car. One is from a well-off merchant family. One is from a very rich politicians' clan.

None is from Udon City, none is a farmer's daughter, most are from smaller amphoers.

If you are digging for farang gold it helps to have some start capital in the form of English language skills, a mobile, an internet connection, access to public transport or your own transport and so on. Real poor girls find all this much more difficult than the ones who start from a comfortable base.

I am not really convinced that the popular "farang belief" that the issarn region is the poorest one isn`t a thai belief as well. Not from the thais I have been associating with anyway. But well...

Real poor girls find all this much more difficult than the ones who start from a comfortable base.

Real poor girls get the introduction from "friends" etc.

This is never a problem, not until the down payments for the "introdution" are due anyway. I know plenty of dirt poor girls not from Udon but from the neighbouring province of Sakon Nakhon where I lived for quite a while who had their "introduction" this way.

I didn`t make any reference to the local scene as I didn`t found it relevant, but also in the south the majority of girls serving the locals are still Issarn, and this is from personal experience from Krabi and Trang anyway :o

People on this board are not the only ones who have noticed how much women from Udon like farangs. Thais have noticed it too. And generally speaking it is not appreciated.

Well, that could apply to just about any region of the issarn. And "in Sakon Nakhon you live entirely on dog meat" etc..... geez.

Boy would I like to meat a thai who would air his "non appreciation" of me being married to a local Udon girl :onfire: I think the last thing he/she would have to worry about would be his "non appreciation".

Well, it seems like we are moving in different circles in LOS and that way we`ve got different experiences. :)

Cheers

Hua Nguu¨

Yes, I too have found that the Thais consider Isan the poorest region. Girls from the North are generally considered the most beautiful, so even if they WERE considered the poorest, they would still be sought after by Thai men. I think many, maybe most, of the girls in Thai-male-oriented brothels are from the North; they want the Northern girls, just as farangs want the dark Isan lasses.

Archived