Win XP

greedisgood

Yeh a good idea to bring it with you, then you can get any issues addressed here. A few things to note with XP though, it likes RAM (you said you were on Win98) so I presume your laptop is a few years old. You may want to upgrade to 256Megs of RAM to make XP run smooth (any less and its a slow beast to work on!)

It should pick up all your drivers so no probs there, you also may want to pick up a copy of Office XP also if you use that.

greedisgood said:

Having problems with my Gateway laptop in the US. Thinking of buying XP in LOS in May and going to that OP system. Anybody try to buy it there and bring it back home, load it, and if there were any problems ? I use Win 98 now.

I 2nd (or 3rd or 5th) the above posters. RAM probably your primary concern. I got XP at Panthip for about USD $3. Of course, it was a legal, non-bootlegged copy. I think Micro$oft was running a special in Thailand that day.

So, you can actually get on the net with windoze 98? :)

How about the registration though. Or is that already cracked ?

All or most of the Microsoft stuff I?ve picked up in Panthip came with product registration codes, but don?t try registering them with Micro$haft unless you want Bill Gates goon squad knocking on your door. :o

Also, as was mentioned, try to get the most recent version with the latest service pack included as MS upgrades generally balk at cracked versions.

ST

Pantip has a CD of crack codes for all most all CDs. With Microsoft XP, generally comes with Service Pack I. Hook up with Microsoft and download full Service Pack III. Don't use the one that examines your system, but the one that will not ask for original CDS. Everything else should run fine.

Gateway is not closing all of there retails store every since they axquired another company. Should be interesting to see what happens with them.

Hi,

right what short-time says, try to get a version of Win XP with the service pack 1 included, saves you a download of some odd 130 MB. SP2 should be available in a few month. There's a release candidate available for SP2, but has the downside that afterwards you can't install the final SP2. So better hands off of the release candidates of SP2. Leave it to the guys who like to do M$s alpha testing. As far as cracks for Win XP go I think you'll get a corp key which don't need any registration with M$. As said, don't even try. If it's starting 'FCKGW' you got problems. Used too often, now M$ bans them from installing service packs and patches. Had the problem myself.

For Offie XP service pack 3 is available.

About the laptop, even with 256MB RAM your machine will do a lot of paging while you work, slowing you down in the process. I guess your harddrive controller is only ATA33 (when the machine is as old as the OS suggests) and this makes paging even slower. Btw, how big is your harddrive? Less than 6GB and you'll hardly have space for your files.

Just a suggestion: I have a laptop with a 500MHz PIII, 384MB RAM 20 GB harddrive, CD-Rom, modem card and network card. 4 years old. Runs with Win XP. Very good foto album, very useful for surfing abroad. For sientific reasons I installed a free copy (from a magazine) of Suse Linux 9.0 on the laptop. within one hour from starting to install I could surf the net, view my fotos and watch movies . Can't say I am firm with Linux, still have everything to learn about it. Wortht a try I think.

Archived