Thong Tarin Hotel, Surin

Coss

I stayed there about a year ago and remember the cooing pigeons outside my window for the first two nights I was there. There was also a disco nearby that played music til the early hours. It was no more than 3 stars and probably closer to 2 stars (or less) but considered the "best hotel" there was in Surin at that time by the tour books.

I also heard that the Petchkasem Hotel was supposed to be top notch but I was in Surin a month ago and checked it out. I wasn't impressed with it at all (narrow hallways, low ceilings and the public toilets in the hotel stank).

I have a better idea if you have a car to get around. You might check out Kasem Garden 277 Moo 18, Tambon Chanieng, Muang Surin which is about 5 kms from downtown. Telephone is 044-713-485 to 7, fax is 044-713-488. Hotel consists of only 20 or 30 rooms on 2 floors built about 2 yrs ago, nice clean spacious rooms, friendly staff, great restaurant on the grounds, quiet, no crowds, no problem parking, internet available for 30 baht/hour, lots of hot water for showers, surrounded by rice fields, etc. I was really impressed by the cost of only 450 baht per night. I understand it was built by the Petchaksem owner who saw a similar hotel in Switzerland and built this one based on the same floor plan. I was told about it by local friends in Surin. Good luck.

Coss,

Still the best place in downtown Surin "for the money". Petchkasem hotel is higher cost and why I don't know really. Thong Tarin is close to the bus depot and train depot, and close to the entertainment areas and other restaurants and such. 800 baht a night, has a pool and restaurant on site. I find it the best deal in Surin and centrally located. I've used them many times over the years and never had a problem there. All my friends stayed there for my wedding three years ago and everyone was happy with the place. No, not a five star hotel, but also it ain't Bangkok either. About a twwo or three as the other poster has said, compared to farang hotels anyway. I'd recommend it, and do, if you want a nice decent place for less than a thousand baht a night in Surin.

Cent

p.s. There are even cheaper places, but they look more for the backpacker crowds to me. When are you going up there Coss? Hopefully I'll be in town then and we can get together for dinner and a beer or two and a chat. Fine Isaan foods at my shop too! :-) Beers on me. :beer:

I can show you around some if you'd like, or give you any info you may need/want for your stay there in Surin.

Cent said:When are you going up there Coss?

Hi Cent,

wont be there till August '05. And thank you for the offer, I'm sure I'm going to have a bit of time on my hands, after the obligatory family functions and when they've stopped rubbing my buddah belly.

I'll be pleased to meet Surin's Raconteur Extraordinaire´ (that's you).

Oh and yes, beer.

Cheers

Coss

Archived