best way from Bangkok to Pattaya?

quote:

Originally posted by joegumby:

Mekong,

I would like to try the A/C bus; my only concern is with the security of the luggage I am carrying - if I put in in the compartment under the bus, it will be out of sight. What do you think the chances are of it getting stolen?

Is is possible to bring luggage on the bus? Are there overhead compartments to store it in, like in an airplane? Or, is it possible to buy an extra ticket and put the bags on the seat beside us?

Then they will know for certain you are carrying something worth stealing.

Most of the people who stow luggage on this bus are other western tourists. Most of the people who ride this bus carry on everything in a small black poly* plastic bag. If you use one of those flashy bags from duty free there will be little chance of confusion. Most folks disembark at the depot in Pattaya and the few that get off before then don't have stowed bags, in my experience. If that is not in any way reasuring you might try carrying less.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would recommend the minibus (Nana hotel, I presume) if you are carrying luggages. The only problem with minibus is the departure time. I remember there are 2 morning departures (11am and another earlier one) but I don't remember any afternoon departure. I wound up using Ekamai bus station a few times because 11am is too early for me.

You are not saving time with the minibus because they do transfer you to the BIG bus in the outskirts of BKK and then a minivan again in Pattaya.

thanks

Gilbert

Cheapest is definitely by the A/C bus from Ekamai Bus Station off Suhkumvit Soi 40. The current cost is 90 baht and the ticket booth is located at the 1st window on the right-hand side of the station with Pattaya in English and Thai. The bus is located at the back of the station in parking space 1. The trip should take 2 1/2 hours and leaves every 1/2 hour starting from 630AM to 930PM, 7 days a week. The bus will drop you off at the North Pattaya Station and you have to take the "baht bus" to your hotel for 20-40 baht. Try to avoid the traffic in early AM and mid-afternoon.

Other alternative is to take the public metered taxi for 1200 baht with the meter off, of course. This has to be negotiated with the driver BEFORE you get in. The taxi will drop you off at the hotel. smile.gif" border="0

Joegumby.

yes right nothing gets stolen ever in the west or is it just in Toronto.

As with everyhing you should take the usual precautions . However I think that you worry too much.

Walking around with all of your valuables in a bum bag around your waist is likely to draw much more attention to you as a tourist than by stowing your luggage on the bus..

Relax and enjoy

I would avoid the minibus at all costs. I had one experience straight out of hell on one. My advice is make sure you are on the big a/c bus or take a taxi.

Aloha

The cheapest way to Pattaya is not the bus! It's the train. There is only one train per day. You catch it at the main train station at five minutes to seven in the morning. The fare is 31 baht. It takes 3 hours and 40 minutes to get to Pattaya. The train does not go this slowly, it's just that it stops 21 times. 21 x 5 minutes = 1hr 45mn means that the running time is still just 2hrs, same as the bus. The train is not air conditioned but the windows are open on hot days. The main advantage, other than price, is the scenery. It is better than that seen from the highway. The same train goes back to Bangkok at 2 something in the afternoon.

I got some good pictures through the open windows of the train.

Jack

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: Indiana_Jack ]

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: Indiana_Jack ]

quote:

Joegumby.

yes right nothing gets stolen ever in the west or is it just in Toronto.

As with everyhing you should take the usual precautions . However I think that you worry too much.

Walking around with all of your valuables in a bum bag around your waist is likely to draw much more attention to you as a tourist than by stowing your luggage on the bus..

Relax and enjoy

Pete,

I did not mean to imply that Thais are less honest than people in the West. Of course, things get stolen in Toronto like anywhere else, but I don't worry about it here because this is my home town, so: a) I know how to protect my belonging from theft, B) I have friends and family to call on for help if necessary, and c) I look like exactly what I am in Toronto - a local, so I won't be targeted by thieves like an visitor might.

I understand your point, though. It is my nature to research and plan things out in advance. But getting your luggage stolen is not the end of the world - I guess I need to weigh that risk against the effort I put into planning a trip.

JG

quote:

Originally posted by joegumby:

Mekong,

I would like to try the A/C bus; my only concern is with the security of the luggage I am carrying - if I put in in the compartment under the bus, it will be out of sight. What do you think the chances are of it getting stolen?

JG

I was in Pattaya over new years. There were so many busses leaving to accomodate people going back to BKK that it became very confusing and I ended up putting my bag on the wrong bus! You can imagine how I felt when I saw the bus leaving with my bag in it. Anyway, my bus left 15 minutes later, and I fretted the whole way. When I got to Ekamai I wondered around and found it in sitting in the main terminal. Someone had been nice enough to bring it there, and nobody tampered with it.

Just don't do this, and you should be fine. Just don't put any 'irreplacables' in the cargo hold just in case.

Oh, and the fare is 90B now.

A friend of mine said he lost a bag off the Pattaya AC bus about 10 years ago. He said a couple of Thais got of the bus before the final stop in Pattaya and when they took a bag out of the cargo hold he thought, "that sure looks like mine". It was.

This story is hearsay. I've never had a problem and I've lost count of the bus trips I've made from BKK to Pattaya.

Train sounds interesting but 06:55 in the morning! shocked.gif" border="0

laugh.gif" border="0

Originally posted by Indiana_Jack:

[QB]The cheapest way to Pattaya is not the bus! It's the train. There is only one train per day. You catch it at the main train station at five minutes to seven in the morning. The fare is 31 baht. It takes 3 hours and 40 minutes to get to Pattaya. The train does not go this slowly, it's just that it stops 21 times. 21 x 5 minutes = 1hr 45mn means that the running time is still just 2hrs, same as the bus.

Where's the train heading to? ..Trang? or is Pattaya the final destination

Archived