best way from Bangkok to Pattaya?

Planning a trip in July and I will spend most of the time in Bangkok, but would like to visit Pattaya. What is the prefered method of transportation and about how long does it take?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ClydeMan,

You can easily book a shuttle bus (passenger van) sharing it with 6-8 others

for about 350 Baht, which I've done. However I prefer to take a "Limo" (private

taxi) for about 1200 Baht. Both take about

2 hours or so and you should be able to book

either at your hotel in Bangkok.

Clydeman,

I am also traveling from BKK to Pattaya this summer. It's the first time I am making this trip, so a couple of months ago, I asked the same question you did on the old Nanaplaza board - too bad it got shut down.

Anyway, several old hands replied to my question, for which I am grateful. There are 3 basic options, which are all covered in this thread already - A/C bus from the Eastern bus terminal, hire a limo, or book a minibus from the hotel. I am going to take the last option because I am taking luggage with me. If I was traveling lighter, I would try the A/C Bus. According the old hands, it's quite easy to figure out, even for a newbie to Thailand.

If you can get a few other people to travel with you, the limo option might be worth checking out.

JG

Hi!

It partly depends on your budget. If you have lots of luggage and can afford it take a taxi/limo. The price should be in the vicinity of 1000/1500.

If you're on a tight budget try the a/c coaches mentioned. The busses from Ekamai and Moorchit are in my opinion equal but Moorchit is rather big so you might need help to find the Pattaya terminal.

Avoid the mini busses if you can they are completely hit and miss. It can be an enjoyable and fast trip or they can drive you around BKK for hours collecting other passengers and then drive you to a terminal in Bangkapi where you have to switch to a large buss anyway.

regards

ALHOLK

Mekong,

I would like to try the A/C bus; my only concern is with the security of the luggage I am carrying - if I put in in the compartment under the bus, it will be out of sight. What do you think the chances are of it getting stolen?

Is is possible to bring luggage on the bus? Are there overhead compartments to store it in, like in an airplane? Or, is it possible to buy an extra ticket and put the bags on the seat beside us?

I get a bit paranoid about this whole issue as a Westerner in a developing country - I always imagine our luggage is targeted because thieves preceive (whether true or not) that it is more likely to contain valuables worth stealing.

JG

There is a small space above the seats where you can put hand baggage, very much akin to airline style.

Personnally I have never had problems with stored luggage, but that could be due to the fact that my Thai wife is responsable for stowing that, so they don't see the farang stowing it

In 3 round trips BKK-Pattaya and back again I've never yet had a problem with any luggage going missing, and I've always stowed it in the luggage compartment underneath. I take any valuables on board with me in a much smaller bag which I keep by my feet or overhead.

If you're worried then make sure you're one of the last to get on, and first to get off. That way the time available for anyone to get at your luggage is minimised. I never bother and so far so good.

Oh, and in March the price had gone up from 79 baht to 90 baht one way.

Archived