Need advise on how to best cope with long flights

I'm generally not afraid of flying, but I get absolutely stir crazy stuck in my seat for an 18 hour flight (Los Angeles to BKK).

The trip out hasn't been so bad (mostly due to the anticipation of what's ahead) but the trip back has been almost unbearable for me.

I usually can sleep pretty well on flights, and on my trip to BKK I usually bring books and magazines, but about halfway thru the flight to Bangkok, in the middle of the Pacific, I start to get mildly claustrophobic and irritable.

Does anyone else have a similar problem, and how do you cope? frown.gif" border="0

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Franco:

... about halfway thru the flight to Bangkok, in the middle of the Pacific, I start to get mildly claustrophobic and irritable.

Does anyone else have a similar problem, and how do you cope?
frown.gif" border="0

Depending on arrival time, I will sleep on first on second leg of trip. If you want to arrive well rested, try taking benadryl an antihistamine which has a side effect of making you drowsy and sleep comes easily. Suggest getting a comfortable seat with adequate leg room (ie EVA economy deluxe) and get a donut sleeping pillow so your head does not shake around too much. Good luck.

Sanukie,

It is hard to give specific advise about how to cope with a long flight, due to differences among people. Some can sleep like a log on a plane, car or anywhere, some cannot. I think you are a bit like me - I don't like being crowded for a long time. The most important thing I do is get an asile seat and walk around a lot.

JG

If you really want to sleep,without taking booze and valium (especially 15 mg doses-which are directly linked to dvt ) use zopilicone sleeping tablets 7.5 mg which work without any booze (in fact if you take booze you will wake up quickly ).They take 35-45 minutes to work, and you will actually yawn, and you will be asleep in 5 minutes.They are available in bkk.

my longest leg from midwest is 13.5 hours ...

followed by another 6 from NRT to BKK ...

i hear ya, tho i'm not at all claustrophobic, but on long legs, i stand by kitchen and talk with other like minded passengers and flight attendants for several hours at a time ...

and i walk around the plane multiple times ...

and in the alternative, tho i don't recommend this as a frequent behavior, i carry some valium and drinks are free on international flights ... a few little bottles, and 10 or 15mg of valium, and you'll sleep like a baby ...

DISCLAIMER: CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR IF SUCH MEDS ARE RIGHT FOR YOU AND YOUR SITUATION !!

CLICK HERE for Sanukie's HomePage

I try not to get too much sleep before taking the flight. a couple of cocktails upon boarding and then I let nature take its course.

If there is a movie I really would like to see switching that on tends to help me focus an d fall asleep.

I miss the movie though

Thanks for the tips Sanukie and Phiketpete.

I don't envy you your trips from the Midwest Sanukie!!

I don't have much of a stomach for flying, so I normally lay off the booze but I may down a few cocktails next time though to take the edge off.

Franco, I don't know whether this will be any help or not but I'll chip in anyway. Coming from Europe my flight time to LOS is generally around 11 hours, not too bad. I just take a good book, well 2 actually, one heavy-duty serious piece of reading and a lighter one to skim through.

I always ask for a window seat, if it's a daytime flight you get some excellent views of other countries en route. It's not something you get to choose I know but if you get lucky enough to sit next to someone interesting you can have some good conversation. Last trip home I was fortunate enough to sit next to a guy from Finland and his Isaan wife, a great couple, we talked the whole flight and it went by very fast. The time before I was next to a Scots guy who'd spent a fortnight sanuking in Pattaya and we could relive our recent experiences and ease the pain of leaving LOS.

I can never sleep on flights either, not for a minute. I'm not at all bothered by flying but I don't sleep very well in a seat, I have to lie down. I don't like taking any chemicals of any kind that aren't absolutely neccessary so sleeping pills are out for me, I have to occupy myself the whole time.

I flew China Airlines last time and will do so again the next so I'll have plenty of beautiful Asian stewardesses to feast my eyes upon too.

I just bring something to read, and look through my photos that I've taken (I get them develpoed in LOS as it's much cheaper). It still drags, but it's a price well worth paying for several weeks sanuk!

Last few trips across the pond, I've tried to follow at least some of the healthy advice. Avoid alcohol/caffeine. Anytime it's offered, drink water or juice including trips to the latrine. Still not great, but seem to tolerate it better than 20 years ago.

Archived