Need advise on how to best cope with long flights

Thanks one and all for your tips and tricks to make the long flights to LOS pass by.

I really envy those of you who can swing a seat in business class! Don't do enough traveling to accumulate the mileage points for upgrades, so I'll just have to tough it out in coach!

I've only flown JAL for my flights over, since they had the best prices at the time I booked. However, the seats in coach are pretty cramped.

Are there are other airlines who offer more leg room in coach making the LAX to BKK run?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Franco:

Thanks one and all for your tips and tricks to make the long flights to LOS pass by.

I've only flown JAL for my flights over, since they had the best prices at the time I booked. However, the seats in coach are pretty cramped.

Are there are other airlines who offer more leg room in coach making the LAX to BKK run?

I have flown JAL and I agree the coach seats are tight. The coach seats of NWA has a little bit more legroom, but they do not have the entertainment system of JAL.

Try to reserve a bulkhead seat. That is the

seat by the exit and has about 6 feet of leg

room. It really helped a lot.

I rented a DVD player with extra batteries

from http://www.inmotionpictures.com/

I rented it for 20 days which included one DVD per day ie., 20 DVD's. It included two 3.5 hours batteries and I rented another one for $5.00. I also rented a couple of extra headphones for my wife and friends. The whole

thing including insurance cost $250 and it was well worth it. To buy the equivalent would have cost about $1200(extra batteries

are $200 each). When I got back to the airport I returned everything to them. It was a real lifesaver. Jay

i was one of those people that couldn't sleep at all on flights, and also became irritable.

found two tricks that help.

earplugs. they really help. its extraordinary when you take them out just how loud it is in the cabin - engines, people chatting etc.

also, don't eat unless you're genuinely hungry. while its tempting to scoff everything put in front of you (hey, its free!), food creates energy and that's not what you want when you're cramped and trying to sleep.

agree that the seat-mounted entertainment systems are great. on singapore airlines you get a choice of about 12 films, as many TV shows, plus video games, and about 15 music channels. and that's in all classes.

but basically, accept you'll arrive in LOS feeling like crap, especially when you hit the heat. when you get to the hotel, take some multivitamins, have some coffee and coke for the caffeine, go to a beer bar, sidle up to some gorgeous pooying and you'll forget you're tired.

Just arrived on a Korean Air flight from JFK with a three hour layover in Seoul. 24 hours end to end.

I brought my own food, home made fried chiken with blue cheese sauce on the side, and ate some just before boarding the plane. This induced a one hour natural nap.

Drank plenty of liquids, water and juices, whenever offered and avoided eating any of the airline food. I've found that this helps to avoid nausea and constipation.

Took two Benadryl halfway into the first leg, after the first two movies, which thankfully I hadn't yet seen, and awoke just before landing in Seoul. The three hour layover sucked but I found free Intenet access at the Transit Hotel in the airport and that helped to pass the time. Also picked up some discount film and American cigarettes for Thai friends.

Still sleepy during the last leg and napped intermittently until reaching Bangkok.

It is always a LONG flight and I'm glad to be here for a while.

Looking forward to meeting some of the board members one of these fridays at Woodstock. Guido.

Archived