Need advise on how to best cope with long flights

Some of the newer models of airlines come with these small screens that are mounted on the back of the chair in front of you. The usual in-flight movie is shown here, but this is not always to everyone's taste, so there are other programs the passenger can watch. I think once more airliners have these screens, and if the programming is improved, it will really help to pass the time during long flights.

During my last flight to the LOS, I was bored with the movie, so I started flicking through the channels. I came across a channel that had a documentary about Ankor Wat in Cambodia - a French historian had used some aerial photo analysis to support his theory that Ankor Wat was in fact a huge water-control system used by the Kymer Empire. Facinating documentary - really helped to pass the time on the flight.

JG

JG

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Franco:

I'm generally not afraid of flying, but I get absolutely stir crazy stuck in my seat for an 18 hour flight (Los Angeles to BKK).

(

One word: Laptop.

These days, they're like a portable entertainment center. Music (mp3), movies (DVD), fun (games), even can do some work. Probably could also find electronic books.

The airline I fly on (AA) has laptop power -- which helps immensely with this, of course. I think some of the other airlines offer batteries, not sure of the power port situation.

quote:

Originally posted by TEDBKK:

One word: Laptop.

These days, they're like a portable entertainment center. Music (mp3), movies (DVD), fun (games), even can do some work. Probably could also find electronic books.

I dunno, laptops can be expensive to replace if lost or stolen. When I went last year I had one of those CD-R MP3 Players (Like 10 hours of music per disc!) Also took with me my Sega Nomad (it was a bit too bulky and tended to get in the way when I was doing other things). Next time around (Sept 2002), I'll probably take one of the new Gameboy Advance units instead of the Nomad.

-=/NN

Fly Business Class or First Class. On my last trip, I flew Northwest in their new World Business Class (it's a combined First/Business Class since they NW got rid of their First Class on all international flights). With all that room, the seat reclining almost flat, your own personal video monitor that allows you to pick which channel/movies to watch, great food and drink, etc. Really makes the time/sleep go by quickly and comfortably.

O.k., granted it may be expensive and I would never pay for it. Last time I used my frequent flyer miles (90,000 miles). At a minimum, buy a coach ticket and use miles to upgrade. Take care.

CS

Definitely much easier to fly first/business class-cuts down the irritability and claustrophobia because of the extra space, good food, etc. What works for me is to stay up the night before so that on the long segment between Chicago and Tokyo, I sleep most of the way. Also helps to fly ANA as they have a better selection of movies to watch than NW.

Not only is the movies better on ANA than NW, but the flight attendants are MUCH better in all aspects than the old hags on NW (however, the flight attendants on the final NRT-BKK leg get better).

CS

Don't think too much about it beforehand! It only makes it worse.

Try to get an evening flight, that makes it easier to sleep on the plane. Don't know if that's possible from the US though.

Try to get an aisle seat, then you have more space and can move more easily. It's a good idea to reserve a seat as soon as possible.

You can also try to get a seat in the front of the cabin. Then you'll also get more room, but this is more difficult.

-

I you can not afford business class take lots of drugs. on my flight home the plane was totaly full and I was stuck in a middle set. Thank god for sleeping pills or I would of started freeking out.

In reply to Rastus, I have never heard of a "zopilicone" sleeping tablet. I even did an extensive search on the web and could find nothing. Are we spelling it correctly?

I also find it difficult to impossible to sleep on long flights and feel like a zombie going for two solid days without sleep. shocked.gif" border="0

Archived