Back in the Departure Lounge - sigh ....

gobbledonk

Hi Blink,

Have you ever been to Jakarta ? Perhaps if I were 20 years younger - but then I'd be looking to party, not marry.

Seriously, I have problems contemplating a return to Brissie, and its a pretty cruisy city compared to its Asian counterparts (population-wise, it's *no* comparison !). I dont handle crowds or traffic at all well, and she is very keen to find a more laidback life too. I know we arent the only couple who want the advantages of the city with the relaxed lifestyle of the country, but that's life ::

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it *is* work Phil, but how many board members would relinquish their current careers for a job as a waiter ? Being abused by both customers and kitchen staff for $10 an hour, all with the possibility of being laid off at the first sign that the owner wont be able to upgrade his BMW based on the profits - its a real career move.

Guest lazyphil

True, if her education is worth its salt she'll do ok in Oz, its an immigrant country after all!...she could do this till her career got moving?

You've raised some good points Phil - I guess the obstacle is really my ego e.g. having to ask the manager down at McDonalds what the education and citizenship requirements for work in their restaurant is ...

I *am* a pessimist at heart, but few of the outcomes in this town convince me that I am being anything beyond realistic. My own brush with unemployment (first time in my 20-plus years in the workforce) 15 months ago has left me very nervous about the IT industry, and I know enough about the peaks and troughs suffered in other sectors to be wary of a career change. Own business ? Let me take you on a tour of the vacant shopfronts in the, ahem, CBD :(

The other side of the coin is that none of us can be *entirely* sure what tomorrow will bring, and life isnt a dress rehearsal. Thats fine when I'm making decisions which have the potential to make me miserable (accepting a redundancy at my last job ...), but its a whole other kettle of fish when you are playing with another human being's fate.

Oz may have been a country which welcomed immigrants 40 or more years ago, but the welcome mat was rolled up when it became apparent that we no longer had jobs for the locals. After 30 years of populating 3 cities on the East coast, the pollies have finally realised that we need to change migration patterns:

Regional Migration

What they dont tell you is that many of the areas where they need skills have accredition policies which mirror the old White Australia Policy - great if you were educated in an English-speaking country, less so if you werent.

>Oz may have been a country which welcomed immigrants 40 or more years ago, but the welcome mat was rolled up when it became apparent that we no longer had jobs for the locals. After 30 years of populating 3 cities on the East coast, the pollies have finally realised that we need to change migration patterns

This year's intake will be higher than ever - 170 000 people. Usually, it's 80K.

The wave I came in on was 125K for that year.

Hi TTM,

I saw something on the news which indicated that the extra places were aimed at filling that regional skills shortage. Not sure how many skilled people will be willing to stay in regional centres after the mandatory 2 years, particularly when they see the money on offer in the cities. I guess the vision is that their kids will be in school, their partners entrenched in a job and so on. Great if it all comes together, but I have my doubts - as an example, a colleague had to leave her job with us to relocate to Geelong, where hubby stood some chance of actually finding paid employment. 8 months, and not so much as an interview.

The pollies all make a lot of noise about the need to decentralise, but their actions speak volumes. Paul Keating summed it up best when he said, 'If you're not in Sydney, you're nowhere !'.

Cheers,

Nowhere Man

• 2 weeks later...

Artie,

Yeah..... it sucks big time !!!!

I am just back home, having brought the GF back to the airport.......

She was here for the third time for 3 months, and hopefully she will be back end of july for the rest of our lives :)

Meanwhile it sucks.......

BB

alone :(

Archived