Adding discussion on 'living in the West' issues

khunsanuk

Well here in the states most of our Thai friends are all in the restaurant industry and therefore have few days off. But unlike most Americans with a day off the Thais will leave immediately after work, drive 10 or 14 hours to spend half a day someplace different and then drive the same 10 to 14 hours back to go to work right away.

Sounds like torture to me. One friend invited my wife and me to go to some "resort" in Tennessee to see snow, a 12 hour drive away. Having grown up in the snow belt of the Northeast I declined.

I guess it ends up being a long trip to take lots of pictures to send home and say "look where I've been." 20 - 28 hours of travel for a few hours of poking around just seems idiotic to me. To each their own. :dunno:

You guys raise a very good point. It's all in the definiton that is usually given to SANOOK.

Not printed in marble, but we westerners do not consider driving to the sight, place, family, we want to see as part of the fun. We want to do, see, something and that's when we imagine we will enjoy what the commute was all about.

Thais just have it that sanook should be in everything you do, if you can help it, especially on days off, but also at work, after all.

Sanook (enjoying) is therefore not in the goal you strive for, or the place you drive to, but to be enjoyed in the moment, whatever it is driving a long way, being stuck in traffic (not alone, if possible, to be alone is not sanook in LOS) or waiting for friends who were supposed to be here 2 or 3 hours ago. Proof is: the habit of stopping to eat or shop, making the trip even longer or the waiting....sanook!

They rarely seem to mind, and only with the farang complaining, will they pay lip service to how long it's taking.

IMO, we have something to learn there, when it comes to relax and put a smile on the seemingly most tedious moments. It's not tedious to them, only to us.

Again, not written in marble, but that's the idea. :)

>.....what do Thai people DO on their holidays?.....Do they do more or less do the same things as everybody else (with all our individual quirks thrown in) or is there an identifiable "Thai way" for this also........

I've seen them on day trips to Pattaya - swimming fully clothed, eating and drinking all day in big groups in shaddow...

No walking, exercising.

Thalenoi lives among them, his place is Thai tourist spot, if he comes here he can tell us what they do in Chumpon.

Hi

Same here.

Have picnics on sundays as the restaurants are closed.

In August each year my wifes sister arranges a bus to take 50 Thai students to see our snow fields.

Leave 7am get back about 11pm....have 3 hours in the snow and back on the bus

:doah:

I declined the invitation this year and last three years ::

Archived