best wine with thai food

pattaya127

I am going to have dinner with a few good friends tonight, one couple arrived from Chiang Mai with their kid, I may not post tonight then (Do I hear:applause:?), but Thailand will be on the menu and topic, for sure.

Especially as the host's thai wife will cook thai food. usually, we all agree that the best wine for thai food is a well "frappe" Alsatian white, like Riesling or gewurtztraminer. Your wine of choice for an aroi maak thai dinner?

Thanks.

1899 Lafitte Rotchchild. Can be hard to find, though. :p

Seriously..... gewurtztraminer, or a spicy rose' Zin. Something with a little zing (spice) to it. Ah-han Thai is usually so Phet maak, that it destroy's your usual taste buds. It's simply a waste to try to understand a wines subtle nuances, while munching down on a spoon full of chili peppers. An exorcise in futility.

Hey wait..........I'm telling this to a French guy? WTF??? You should know this shit. :D

Order a magnum of Beer Sing, and be done with it. Better yet, order shots of Tequila. Only thing that can get past the chili peppers. ::

Honestly.....trying to match spicy Thai food with a good fine wine, is a waste of time. Best you could do is go with a sweet wine after, to counteract the spiciness of Thai food. I've had aged oak barreled chardonay with Thai food, and just loses all meaning. Same with red wines. If you have to go with something while eating, choose a spicy California Zinfadel, with a half kilo of cloves tossed in with it. Maybe then, you'll actually be able to make some sense of it. :D

HT

P127, you hit it IMHO. German white wines, especially Spätlese class. Ran into the most knowledgable Thai chap in Las Vegas at a dumpy (but very good) Thai Restaraunt in a strip mall on Sahara west of Paradise. We sat there and he brought out several bottles of vino for us to try with his food. Very knowledgable and the food was great. He was happy to share his wine experience and chat with people in Thai who appreciated his knowledge.

The Spätleses were the best with the food, unaminously as the slight sweetness was a nice offset to the spicy melange of flavours that is Thai cuisine. And I do not normally drink German wines or whites!

As far as brands, I do not recall 100% what we drank on that night, but all were very decent (~$30) bottles, so try maybe 2001 Andreas Laible Riesling, spätlese, trocken; about $20 I'd guess. If you can't find that brand, look for a Reisling that has the Qualitätswein mit Prädikat (QmP) rating (the best stuff), made with spätlese grapes (late picking, extra ripe) and is trocken (dry; realtively that is).

Chok Dee & Glueck und Gesundheit!

Cheers,

SD

well, dinner is over, great evening, absolutely wonderful thai food, and great rieslings to go with it. After dinner, cognac while looking at our host's incredible library, first editions of countless famous novels, like Mark twain's novels annotated on the side by the author himself, Melville's Moby Dick, etc..... All this with people who have travelled Asia or stayed in thailand since the late 70's. A real encyclopedia of LOS knowledge. they just know personally every farang who made a name in Thailand.

it was fun riding back across the Bay bridge on the bike, all warmed up by the alcohol enjoyed and the gregariousness of being amongst friends.

Archived