Bought a New Laptop

Torneyboy

Bought a ""new"" laptop today...well new to me and available in OZ.

Been using something that fell out of the Ark...and slow is not the word :sleeping:

Got a Toshiba Satellite A30 series.

Mid price range..only need for home use so is fine .....will take me forever to sort out what i can do.

dvd/movies...edit...i don't know how to put a movie on the thing let alone edit :D

Anyway...happy ...fast and good size screen.

Had trouble getting started...but the sales guys talked me through over the phone ..and am now up and running.

I know this machine if not already out of date it soon will be but still i needed an upgrade..the other machine was driving me nuts.

Now i have to get all my ""stuff" over from the old one.

While i was choosing i noticed a very wide range of people looking and asking questions...one guy must have been in his seventies...good on him :bow:

Good choice.

Many people buy the best with all the bells and whistles and only play a few tunes. Computers are throw aways - yes you will throw yours away but the loss will be less. I donate mine to some worthwhile child. There are a lot of children dying to get their hands on such things - along with their friends, neighbors, etc.

Wife bought him a computer last week,speakers,stand/desk .

Laptop not really good enough for his school work,printing stuff etc..needs a lot of room to get organized

In his room ,no computer games ...we will get some Cds from the school ...To help with English and his studies.

Starts school tommorrow...got the uniform today..real excited now.

Have 20 ""new "" kids starting at the same time..Vietnamese and other asian countries.

Hi,

I think he could have done with a laptop. Only it would be broken very soon. So a desktop is the better option for him.

And no worries, first thing he'll learn is to install some games :o

Second thing he'll learn is how to install them so you won't find them. Don't be to hard on him when you find out, it's one of the so much desired learning processes. :)

Hi C68

Thanks...ha ha .

Just by chance a morning TV show i saw today mentioned a trade fair in Sydney ..all about communications/computers etc.

One gadget they previewed was a contraption to plug in the (back) of a PC and it allows parents to later check and see what has been looked at on the computer.

may get one..see what is happening ::

I get your point however ::

good to see you back on the board :up:

Yep, I'm on broadband now.

Wait until kid goes to the Kindergarten next week than I'll be virtually glued to the pc.

Hey, you won't spy on your kid, will you? My brothers kids are old enough for the computer, but guess who was first to catch a dialer? Sure, brother was, not the kids.

No...

Good boy...let him enjoy what we have to offer.

Only thing he misses (apart from grand parents)...is the river,used to swim every day.

Heading into winter here so will have a wait till warm enough to go to our beaches.

Broadband,,,showoff...can get ..but better not,will need to spend time as a teacher at night these next months or so.

Still playing you know what btw .

Man, I cant believe how sharply hardware hasd dropped over the last 2 years ! The strength of the Aussie bleeder means that things like laptops, previously a $3K-plus luxury item, are now under 2K ! And they just keep getting faster - the laptop that one paid $4K for 12 months ago is a sloth compared to something you could pickup for $1800 now - that was previously a desktop phenomenon, at least in Oz.

As slow as it is, I'll stick with my trusty iBook. $2K is still $2K :)

Archived