girlfriend to america for vacation

Hi guys,

Have spent considerable time with a freelance girl on my last 2 trips to bkk in march and june and would really like to bring her to america for a visit to see how she likes it. Nothing more serious than that yet. She is Issan and only been in bkk 6 months.

Is this doable and if so how do I begin the process. I am going back to bkk in Sept if that is any help.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Snuffy cool.gif" border="0

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: snuffy48 ]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way she could visit is if she comes from a well to do family, has wealth, land and a good job. Has good reason to return to Thailand. Otherwise they will shoot it down. They would figure she would want to stay in the country and not return to Thailand. frown.gif" border="0

Laser is right, although I have read that if she is part of an organized tour group, a travel VISA is easier to get. I don't know how true that is.

The only viable option I have found is to apply for a fiance VISA, and after everything is approved she can enter the U.S. for 90 days.

The only slight drawback to this is that you have to get married sometime during that 90 day period.

Check out the US embassy in Thailand page at http://usa.or.th/services

As one who has been through the K-1 process, let me add the following. A K-1 from Thailand is not a given. The consular section of the US Embassy has to be convinced that a true relationship exists and you DO plan on marrying. If they think you are using this visa in lieu of the vistor visa, she will be denied. If the INS suspects this (K-1) is used for anything besides a legitimate desire to marry, that in itself is considered fraud. You COULD find yourself wth free room and board for several years. It (fraud) could also used against you if you tried later to bring someone over to actually get married. The K-1 is a good vehicle to bring someone to the states to marry, but be very careful trying to use it for any other purpose. If trying to get a visitor's visa for your GF, she must prove she has a compelling reason to return to Thailand, that being in the form of extreme wealth, position, or property.If none of these are provable, she will be denied.

HSTEACH:

How would the embassy ever know if she came and then returned to LOS and told the embassy that she just wasn't happy in the US?

I actually know of 3 cases where the men sent their fiancee' packing back to LOS. I agree with you that it would be more difficult if he ever did decide to really bring a lady over again. Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Pong,

The K-1 visa is a 2-step process. The first step is for the US citizen to file an I-129f petition with the appropriate INS Regional Service Center in the US. Approval can take anywhere from 1 to 6 months depending on the center. Once the INS approves the petition, the foreign fiance(e) can apply for the visa itself at the US embassy. The US embassy in Thailand is quicker about processing K-1 visas than many, it should take 1-2 months, 3 at most.

A K-1 visa takes a lot of work and a fair amount of time, 4 - 9 months. Also a fair amount of money. I don't think it's a practical alternative to a B-2 tourist visa.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by Paulpong:

So, How exactly does one obtain this information for a k-1 visa Do i apply or does she need to Get the info on her end?

Pong?

Oh yeah - see the newsgroup <alt.visa.us.marriage-based>, and explore Doc Steen's and Jonathan's web sites, to find out what you're in for if you want to pursue a K-1.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by JEff:

[QB]Pong,

The K-1 visa is a 2-step process. The first step is for the US citizen to file an I-129f petition with the appropriate INS Regional Service Center in the US. Approval can take anywhere from 1 to 6 months depending on the center. Once the INS approves the petition, the foreign fiance(e) can apply for the visa itself at the US embassy. The US embassy in Thailand is quicker about processing K-1 visas than many, it should take 1-2 months, 3 at most.

A K-1 visa takes a lot of work and a fair amount of time, 4 - 9 months. Also a fair amount of money. I don't think it's a practical alternative to a B-2 tourist visa.

Regards, JEff

Archived