girlfriend to america for vacation

An ex-pat has a pretty good chance that his g/f can get a B-2 visa to join him for a vacation in the U.S.. When I was living and working in Thailand my girlfriend was able to get a visa, twice, and she was your stereotypical Isaan peasant girl - little income, no assets.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by Laser:

The only way she could visit is if she comes from a well to do family, has wealth, land and a good job. Has good reason to return to Thailand. Otherwise they will shoot it down. They would figure she would want to stay in the country and not return to Thailand.
frown.gif" border="0

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by JEff:

An ex-pat has a pretty good chance that his g/f can get a B-2 visa to join him for a vacation in the U.S.. When I was living and working in Thailand my girlfriend was able to get a visa, twice, and she was your stereotypical Isaan peasant girl - little income, no assets.

Regards, JEff

Jeff -- Exactly how did you do that? An ex-pat frind of mine once did get a tourist visa for his non b/g g/f but that was only with the help of a letter written for him by a friend who worked in the US embassy, and stil it wasn't easy, interviews, etc.

How do you fill out a business visa form to get a b/g a B-2 visa? I'm sure a lot of guys on this board have jobs in Thailand, work permits and b/g g/f's that they would consider bringing to the US for a visit if the were some way to actually do it.

Regarding the posts about multipule K-1 applications, although I actually only ever brought one fiance to the US, eight years earlier I had successfully applied for a K-1 visa for my g/f from Chiang Rei. She never used the visa, long story, not for this thread.

Anyway, I never did anything about it and when I applied for the second time a year and a half ago, yes, there was a place on several of the applications asking about previous requests. I wrote a simple explanation stating that the visa was applied for but never used. It didn't seem to be a problem.

I also agree with the previous posters who recommend against using a fiance visa to bring a Thai g/f to the US for a visit. It is quite an ordeal and I wouldn't think it would be worth it just for a g/f visit.

In principle I concur with DB's comments, although, from what I've seen, the INS is so disorganized and backed up that I doubt there would be any kind of investigation or persuit of liability unless the run away was involved in some major finacial fiasco. Just my opinion. In fact, a guy I new at the INS in NY advised me to bring the Chaing Rei g/f over and just not marry her if I didn't want to. He told me that his department was so backed up that they never bother to look for individual over stayers on any kind of visa and his job was to find illegal aliens and lock them up for deportation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending this, just giving an example, yet another example, of how disorganized the INS is.

Guido.

If your fear or hope is that the INS will make the g/f go away if it doesn't work out, it's not going to happen. A K-1 without some real intention to get married could complicate life if somebody in INS or State thought you filed the petition in bad faith. crazy.gif" border="0

A B-2 is a tourist visa. The business visa is a B-1.

You get a B-2 by applying for it using OF-156 Application for Non-Immigrant Visa.

There is only one criterion for issuing a non-immigrant visa, and it is not how much income one has, how many assets one has, or what one's social status is. The criterion is can you convince the consular officer processing the visa that the visa applicant will leave the USA. It should be no surprise that, in a materialistic society such as the USA, money is the first thing one thinks of as a means to satisfy the criterion, and income and assets are the prime examples given by the State Department itself as ways to satisfy the criterion. But, there are no hard and fast requirements so each case is looked at based one the particular circumstances. Where income and assets do not exist, look for other things.

In the case of an ex-pat, a US citizen's life and income are where? In Thailand. If (s)he is going to go home to the US for a few weeks of vacation, it is easy to establish that (s)he will thereafter be coming back to Thailand.

A Thai g/f's visa application should clearly indicate that she is going on vacation with her ex-pat boyfriend, for a specific period of time, to a specific destination, for a specific purpose. No need to write a book, but be clear that that this is a well defined and temporary visit. The ex-pat should go with his g/f when she submits her visa application, armed with his work permit, job contract, or whatever evidence he has to show that he has obligations in Bangkok that require his return. The consular will want to talk with him to verify the information and see the evidence of work and life in Thailand.

It worked for me and my g/f. Her visas had the notation "travelling with Jeff Xxxxx" written on them both times.

Regards and chok dii, JEff

Originally posted by CondomKing:

[QB]Jeff -- Exactly how did you do that? An ex-pat frind of mine once did get a tourist visa for his non b/g g/f but that was only with the help of a letter written for him by a friend who worked in the US embassy, and stil it wasn't easy, interviews, etc.

How do you fill out a business visa form to get a b/g a B-2 visa?

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: JEff ]

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Having dealt with the US Embassy here, I wouldn't have believed in a million years that that would work, especially if the girl looked anything like she could possible work as a b/g, be she one or not. That is, any girl young and attractive enough to reasonably attract customers is automatically assumed, if in the company of a male US citizen, to be unqualified to receive a visa on looks alone.

If you say it worked for you I'll take you at your word. I hope your method can work for other guys who are put at their wits end by the condescending and narrow minded attitude to be found at the US Embassy when it comes to Thai g/f's.

When my then g/f and I applied at the US Embassy the staff not only was no help at all they were actually quite rude to us and I do own and operate a business here and my g/f (now wife, K-1 style)was not only an employee of more than a year but also a share holder, with a savings bank account, etc. Their attitude was clearly that we were wasting our time, and BTW, please don't come back. At least that was my experience, Guido.

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: CondomKing ]

quote:

Originally posted by JEff:

Oh yeah - see the newsgroup <alt.visa.us.marriage-based>, and explore Doc Steen's and Jonathan's web sites, to find out what you're in for if you want to pursue a K-1.

Also try www.delphi.com/thaifarang

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: worldwalker ]

I'm a greencard holder in the US, British and Australian citizenships. My non BG GF got a 10 year tourist visa multiple reentry to the US because she works for an Airline.

Question is.

What can I do with that in order to keep her in the states?

Otherwise I might as well just go back to Australia with her (no 8503 in her current visa) and be happy.

quote:

Originally posted by steffi:

I'm a greencard holder in the US, British and Australian citizenships. My non BG GF got a 10 year tourist visa multiple reentry to the US because she works for an Airline.

Question is.

What can I do with that in order to keep her in the states?

Otherwise I might as well just go back to Australia with her (no 8503 in her current visa) and be happy.

Steffi,

Damned hard unless you plan on becoming a U.S. citizen any time soon. If/when you get married while you are a green card holder, you can file an I-130 relative petition for her as your spouse, but that won't do any good for several years--the numbers are backed up that far.

Any chance of her airline transferring her to the U.S.? That would give her a legal stay of several years.

Good luck

"you can file an I-130 relative petition for her as your spouse, but that won't do any good for several years--the numbers are backed up that far."

I've heard that that is not the case any more. I think the process for the I-130 is now under one year.

Archived