Replacing A Lost Passport in LOS?

Was talking to an Aussie friend today who last week lost his passport while in BKK.

He told me that it took 10 days (!) for the Australian Embassy to replace the passport - and this was with copies of the lost passport, good ID's etc. etc. ::

When he queried the embassy as to why the delay was so long, he was told that all re-issued / new Australian passports given out by the embassy in BKK have to processed, issued and sent from the Australian Embassy in Canberra.

Anyone know if this is the same for other countries if you lose your passport whilst overseas, and it is the same process in all other countries if you lose your Australian passport whilst overseas? (i.e. They all have to be issued in Canberra, or is it only in Asia or LOS???) :dunno:

Fly P.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlyPapillon said:

When he queried the embassy as to why the delay was so long, he was told that all re-issued / new Australian passports given out by the embassy in BKK have to processed, issued and sent from the Australian Embassy in Canberra.

Really ? You have an embassy in your own capital ??? :p

BB

wondering

Fly ...You sure??? what the hell happens if travelling next day?

we (OZ PP ) can issue while you wait.

Yep. At work today, was talking to another employee who reiterated the same story that happened to one of our passengers whilst in Bangkok about a month ago. I believe that in an emergency situation, such as a death in the family, the embassy will give you something along the lines of "AN AUTHORITY TO TRAVEL WITHOUT PASSPORT" which will get you back into Australia, (but no other countries - i.e. you must go straight home), but a whole new passport now can only be issued by the passport office in Australia.

I will ring the passport office tomorrow when I'm at work and see what the "official" story is - I'll post tomorrow night when I get home. Fly P. :dunno::beer:

OZ only issues passports in about 4 places in the world now, supposedly for security which obviously increases the time taken but if you are due to fly home the next day any country will usually organise some emergency document for you.

I think the list is London, LA and 1 other in America and OZ.

Is America not the same - only prints them in America now, not in the individual embassies?

Was in Poipet, ciming back into Thailand. A Thai official came and gathered about 20 - 30 passports of those waiting in line. The person ahead of me got processed, his passport was stamped and he left only to return - immediately. His passport was not his - it was somebody elses passport that was ahead of him in line. What happened, I do not know.

Lost mine once. Returned to the airport and they gave it back to me.

Fly,

The USA now produces passports only in the USA. It has to do with security features and the necessary equipment to produce the passports is not available to overseas posts.

I don't know how long it takes to get a replacement USA passport, but I suspect that it's several weeks.

Grabii

FlyPapillon said:

Was talking to an Aussie friend today who last week lost his passport while in BKK.

He told me that it took 10 days (!) for the Australian Embassy to replace the passport - and this was with copies of the lost passport, good ID's etc. etc. ::

Anyone know if this is the same for other countries if you lose your passport whilst overseas, and it is the same process in all other countries if you lose your Australian passport whilst overseas? (i.e. They all have to be issued in Canberra, or is it only in Asia or LOS???) :dunno:

Fly P.

Archived