Replacing A Lost Passport in LOS?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OZ only issues passports in about 4 places in the world now, supposedly for security which obviously increases the time taken but if you are due to fly home the next day any country will usually organise some emergency document for you.

I think the list is London, LA and 1 other in America and OZ.

Ultras is right on the money.

I rang the passport office in Australia today, and, (after being on hold for 25 minutes!), got the story:

You can only get an Aussie passport issued in Australia, The USA and The U.K. now. If you lose your passport in another country, it will be re-issued by the closest passport-issuing office - in BKK's case, Australia.

If you lose your passport and need to get home urgently, as in case of death in the family, they will issue you with an "Resident's Authority to Enter Australia Without A Passport" (or similarly named document), which will let you get home.

The girl on the phone said that they have really tightened up passport issuing due to "terrorism becoming a major world issue", and "other security issues"... unquote!

Also, passport forgeries are a big business now, and they are trying to stamp it out.

So you Aussies... keep your passport safe when in LOS!!!

(Gee... if you lose it, you might have to stay another 10 days... what a shame! :doah:) Fly P.

Absolutely. I don't care that the "That Authorities" say its compulsory for all tourists to carry passports.

Point 1: I have NEVER been stopped and asked for it.

Point 2: If they want to see it that badly, they can accompany me to the hotel and I'll get it out of the safe for them!

"Point 1: I have NEVER been stopped and asked for it."

Never say never, Mr. Bean. It is happening to lots of people that we expats know. It has already happened to people I know. So you MAY be next.

"Point 2: If they want to see it that badly, they can accompany me to the hotel and I'll get it out of the safe for them!"

The nice policemen are generally quite busy and have no time to go to your hotel. I suspect that they will want to to come over to their house, known as the IDC, and stay for a while -- until someone can kindly deliver your passport to them! Of course if you make a several thousand baht donation to the policeman's "widows & orphans" fund, he may forget that he saw you. But maybe not.

Seriously, do not be so arrogant. This is reality now in LoS.

Cheers,

SD

PS -- I am just waiting for someone to have enough balls to open a thread bitching about getting thrown into the IDC cuz they did not have their passport on their person LOL! Can't wait to say "I told you so!"

Suadam, you are right on! You forgot to mention that tension in Thailand is escalating and the good policeman may not have time to put up with certain falangs BS.

FlyPapillon said:

Absolutely. I don't care that the "That Authorities" say its compulsory for all tourists to carry passports.

Point 1: I have NEVER been stopped and asked for it.

Point 2: If they want to see it that badly, they can accompany me to the hotel and I'll get it out of the safe for them!

i have been stopped several times to show my ID, and i always carry one (not my passport, i have a more useful one).

there are also other reasons to carry your passport around:

at the moment there is that ongoing drive to tighten visarules, so you do want to prove that you are legit, or you might very well spend the night in a policejail or the IDC before you can prove that you are legit.

also, in the event of an accident you want to have an ID which makes it easy to track you down. that could save your life, or in the event of being dead, it could help your relatives to find you easily. and as a tourist the only ID which is easily found in the computersystems here is your passport.

Lost my pasport here last year. It took about 10 days to get it from the US Embassy because they now do all passports at the National Pasport center in DC, not even the regional centers around the country.

You can get an emergency passport that sounds very similar to tthe Aussie one.

All in all it was a painless process, and the delays were on the US side, not the Thai side.

Immigration stamped me back in really quick. Oh and they do have the reords of all your entrances and exits on their computer system. They were able to quickly call up the exact flight number I arrived on months before.

Archived