Sanuker's Code of Conduct

I have been pondering recently the need for a volunatary code of conduct to be followed and adhered to by sanukers. I believe that most of us do the right thing as regards the girls and have their best interests at heart. However I believe we could go further by disseminating this to newbies on the board who may not understand the scene.

Two questions then. First, would you support the adoption of such a code? Second, if so, what would you like to see as its main points.

Cheers

Jaga

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am serious about this as I think what we indulge in is potentially dangerous and our actions can have a grave effect on others. I do have some ideas in mind, but I believe that for me only to post my ideas is arrogant. This should be a communal effort, broad and consensus based to incorporate as many ideas as possible. As it is self-regulatory in nature, there needs to be agreement on what is included, otherwise no-one will bother with it. Anyhow, for what it is worth, here are some of my ideas.

1. violence towards sex workers is unacceptable and we pledge to only use force when threatened ourselves.

2. passing on diseases to workers constitutes a form of violence and as such we pledge to be proactive as regards our own and sex workers health issues.

3. We pledge to treat every sex worker in a dignified and respectful manner, recognizing their right to such as human beings.

4. The welfare of fellow sanukers who may not know the workings of the sex industry is of concern to all of us.

5. We pledge not to knowingly aid and abet debt/bondage and/or underage prostitution.

6. We pledge to respect the cultural sensitivities of the Thai people. We recognize the uniqueness of Thai culture and as such feel strongly about the preservation thereof.

Just a few ideas anyhow. Just to reiterate, they are by no means gospel and anyone is free to offer critique.

Cheers

Jaga

quote:

Originally posted by Jaganath69:

1. violence towards sex workers is unacceptable and we pledge to only use force when threatened ourselves.

2. passing on diseases to workers constitutes a form of violence and as such we pledge to be proactive as regards our own and sex workers health issues.

3. We pledge to treat every sex worker in a dignified and respectful manner, recognizing their right to such as human beings.

4. The welfare of fellow sanukers who may not know the workings of the sex industry is of concern to all of us.

5. We pledge not to knowingly aid and abet debt/bondage and/or underage prostitution.

6. We pledge to respect the cultural sensitivities of the Thai people. We recognize the uniqueness of Thai culture and as such feel strongly about the preservation thereof.

Just a few ideas anyhow. Just to reiterate, they are by no means gospel and anyone is free to offer critique.

Cheers

Jaga

Is this a wind up????

I can just imagine some brainless moron, deciding not to bash some girl because he read "Thou shall not hit a sex worker!" on the internet.

Are you going to try and enforce this code of conduct in other parts of the world? Or will it just be a Thai thing?

I think the majority of people can decide the rights and wrongs for themselves, those who cannot need a bit more education than a "book of rules" It might make quite a humurous read, but thats all. IMO.

Cheers

Roger

[ June 30, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

I TOTALLY disagree with Roger.

I TOTALLY agree with Jaga. GOOD start with the first six!

For Roger, I can't think of ANY occasion where a sex worker should be bashed (physically abused in any way), unless she's threatening your personal safety. Your attitude and commentary are but one example of the dire NEED for this Code of Conduct.

This product will be MUCH more than a humorous posting. It will be a worldwide GUIDELINE for conduct, NOT a set of rules.

I applaud and fully support Jaga's idea.

Two recommendations follow:

1. You'll never get everyone to agree with all entries in the final Code. Thus, I recommend you select a "distinguished panel of experienced sanukers" to finalize and endorse the product before publication. I'm too new to recommend anyone for such a panel, but Bangkok Phil and Khan Sanuk may be good candidates.

2. After the Code is finalized, you should strongly consider publishing the list on most of the various famous web sites and forums (e.g. - tsmtravel .com; bangkokmouth.com; thailandguru.com) to get the word out and maximize its benefit.

Nice work and GREAT idea!

teacherwannabe

quote:

Originally posted by teacherwannabe:

I TOTALLY disagree with Roger.

I TOTALLY agree with Jaga. GOOD start with the first six!

For Roger, I can't think of ANY occasion where a sex worker should be bashed (physically abused in any way), unless she's threatening your personal safety. Your attitude and commentary are but one example of the dire NEED for this Code of Conduct.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..............

You seem to be lacking somewhat in comprehension....!!!!!!

Take a little more time reading what I said..

For instance where did I advocate "bashing sex workers" ???

I wish I had thought about telling people not to bash sexworkers on this site before...imagine how many girls would have escaped a beating.

While your at it...you could add some things like "Don't take drugs", "Don't murder anyone", "Remember to be eat-up all your greens"......

Who knows, before long we could solve all the problems in the world just by telling people what to and what not to do....

Roger

quote:

While your at it...you could add some things like "Don't take drugs", "Don't murder anyone", "Remember to be eat-up all your greens"......

Who knows, before long we could solve all the problems in the world just by telling people what to and what not to do....

Roger

We DO solve most of the world's problems by telling people what to do and not do......they are called laws, rules, regulations, instructions, morays, etc.

Modern societies and civilized nations rely on the rule of law to prevent chaos and anarchy, and to provide some deterrent to crime.

Also, civilized cultures commonly adopt codes of conduct to shape socially accepted behavior among the masses. The world's best examples are the "Golden Rule" from the Christian Bible (Do unto others as if you would have them do unto you), and the 10 Commandments. There are similar codes and "golden rules" found in the Koran (Islamic faith).

I see considerable value in an honest attempt to shape the behavior of sanukers. Why not? It's been done for hundreds of years!

teacherwannabe

PS - Roger, I'm sorry I misunderstood your narrative concerning "bashing" women.

[ June 30, 2001: Message edited by: teacherwannabe ]

I think the code of conduct would benefit the newbies more since they are flying blind sort of. You long time sanukers are pretty set in your ways by now and changing is not something you would want to do. But all in all it gives a guide for all to follow if one is new to the scene. When I first came here I wish I had a known set of rules. My friend had to teach me the ropes. Some newbies aren't so fortunate. So I think it is a good idea. tongue.gif" border="0

After reading these responses I feel any sort of code of conduct is a very bad idea, it's just going to set people against each other.

I can do without a whole lot of rules as to how to behave when sanuking, I think even newbies ought to be able to figure out that sort of thing without having to read some sort of code of conduct. If they can't, then reading it isn't going to make them change their behaviour.

In a word, it's patronising.

This forum takes all sorts, I get the feeling that anyone who doesn't agree with this projected code of conduct is going to have to either shut up or risk being ostracised.

I can't tell you how much I object to the idea. Nothing personal Jaganath, but please reconsider.

At the very least, a list of helpful hints would be better, a "code of conduct" (how I hate those words!) infers everyone should toe the line, that's what I can't stand!

[ June 30, 2001: Message edited by: DJ1999J ]

Archived