Sanuker's Code of Conduct

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jaga,

KS posted that you've got good intentions but etc. Yeah, agree. Your heart's in the right place but the idea wouldn't work in practice.

It's voluntary and therefore those who could most benefit from such a "Code" would not benefit. It couldn't be enforced as legislation 'cos quite frankly those that wield the power in LOS wouldn't give a monkeys. If it ever was enforced then who'd do the reporting to the Peelers?

Maybe the best way forward is to incorporate your ideas into a FAQ/Handy Hints for Whoring Thread?

We've got enough legistlation, administration, masturbation, bureaucracy to deal with during our working hours without any more when it's time to play. Where will it lead? "Now every good Sanuker should know that shorts are strictly verboten in the classier bars of NEP."

Teacherwannabe your logic baffles me. You gave 4 points to illustrate that those who don't toe the party line are ne'er do well outlaws who are incapable of change/reason.

In some countries teachers are afforded respect. I hope, for the future Thai kids who you presumably want to teach, that you don't change your name. If you get my drift.

Teacherwannabe

quoted by teacherwannabe:-

I get the feeling that those who object to guidelines on proper behavior fall into one or more of the following catagories:

a. They are afraid of or object to learning new things or improving themselves or their behavior

b. They object to or disdain any type of rules that they don't personally agree with

c. They tend to be "know it alls," so you can't teach an old dog new tricks

d. They could never admit that they're wrong about anything, and the words "I'm sorry" are either very difficult for them or a completely non-existant part of their vocabulary

I must agree with the others who have objected to this sweeping statement.

I am against rules and "codes of conduct" for an entirely different reason. It is shit like this that attempts to homogenise the world and turn it all into one big branch of McDonalds.

I think it's clear what the majority think of the idea. However to sum up:-

Bad guys will be bad .... whatever.

The board members who have replied mostly come down on the "is this a joke side" Or at least are sceptical.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:

"Your attitude and commentary are but one example of the dire NEED for this Code of Conduct."

I could have got angry with the above comment or laughed at it, I chose the latter.

Roger

As you wish, that is your right. I just felt that your statement lent alot to derision, something I was not looking for in this discussion. Furthermore, I feel you missed the spirit of this adventure.No one could enforce it or for that matter check if others were following it. This was never my intention anyhow, as it was purely self regulating (with the self being the individual). All I intended to do was to gain a consensus on ideas to make the scene better for all involved and then post them somewhere where people might view them and then have cause to think. Anyhow, I'm sorry for any offense caused and hope we can move on from there.

Ultimately, I feel the response is overwhelmingly negative and as such I feel this is best left alone. Perhaps I am just a fool with his heart in the right place after all. On that note, I believe that the code/charter/whatever is impractical and can not come to fruition.

Cheers

Jaga

An Advice for Newbies document would be very useful. For example, most of us know that using drugs in LOS is not the smartest thing to do, yet there are a lot of people who go to LOS thinking that it is quasi legal(the Khao San Rd. crowd). From some web sites that promote the Full Moon Parties, you can easily get the impression that using drugs in LOS is part of the fun. A brief advisory document regarding this and some other topics couldn't do any harm.

Sukhumvit said

"We've got enough legislation, administration, masturbation, bureaucracy to deal with during our working hours without any more when it's time to play. Where will it lead?"

Well said, and Coquetislander, you expressed the same feelings. Whilst I accept this code of conduct idea started with the best of intentions I can't help but feel it smacks of yet more rules. Someone telling others how they ought to behave. No thanks, I don't take kindly to that.

Furthermore I believe there is no need. I said before that those who behave themselves will do so anyway without this list, and those who are dickheads will behave like dickheads regardless.

I have no problem with a list of useful tips, although I think that's been done to death already and anyone can find out all that it may contain from reading the board for a while.

That said, it appears the idea may be dropped anyway which IMHO is for the best. Opinion seems to be absolutely polarised here, and that can't be a good thing for the board. I prefer people to get along, LOL!

Jaganath, I don't think perhaps you realised the depth of feeling some of us have towards any sort of imposition of other's beliefs, however undeniably meritous, upon everybody else. You say that this would be entirely voluntary, but people would feel obliged not to post opinions contrary to it, which would stifle free speech and debate. It sounds too politically correct for my liking. Actually, I find it anathema, no exaggeration.

Anyway, I've gone on long enough, I think everyone gets the gist. No hard feelings,

DJ1999J

Archived