Sanuker's Code of Conduct

I agree with DJ1999J, if you're going to do something against the "advice" in the code then just because it's written down won't change that. As DJ says, it seems patronising.

Surely everyone has their own set of standards and a sort of inbuilt conscience, that should be enough.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Jaganath,

While I think your intentions are good, I have to agree with the opponents of this idea.

The way I see it making a list of how to behave is not gonna make any difference. The 'nice' people will be acting like this already, and the 'bad' people won't give a shit.

A list of hints and tips may be better. Something to the lines of my "Do's & Don'ts" article.

Sanuk!

With all due respect to those in disagreement, I think you miss the point. This is a totally voluntary code of conduct, it will never be enforceable and as such none of you have to pay it the scantest attention. Roger, it is no wind up, just an attempt to clarify what is acceptable behaviour when indulging in sanuk. Again, it is totally voluntary and consensus based. You are free to ignore it (as I expect you will). I only wish you where a bit more adult in your aproach, two lines of haha does not contribute much to the debate.

Being non-binding, I tend to agree with Khun Sanuk that the document should take the form of a do's and don'ts list to be placed somewhere that newbies can see. In defference to the guys who think that the point on violence is nonsense, I believe it may have a reinforcing effect to show that we all abhore it and if this saves even one person it is well and truelly worth it. Anyhow, I am at least glad that the post has stirred such robust debate, even if it is problematic. Substanial support for non-adoption is also an option.

Cheers

Jaga

A Code of Conduct would not be patronising.

Those who choose NOT to abide by the Code would NOT be ostrasized, as previously mentioned.

I get the feeling that those who object to guidelines on proper behavior fall into one or more of the following catagories:

a. They are afraid of or object to learning new things or improving themselves or their behavior

b. They object to or disdain any type of rules that they don't personally agree with

c. They tend to be "know it alls," so you can't teach an old dog new tricks

d. They could never admit that they're wrong about anything, and the words "I'm sorry" are either very difficult for them or a completely non-existant part of their vocabulary

Whether it's called a Code or a list of Do's and Dont's is not the point. Call it whatever you want! The bottom line is proper behavior and ettiquette with other human beings that are providing a service. Anything wrong with that? C'mon guys, let's do something positive for the newcomers! And, who knows, you experts may learn a few things, too!

teacherwannabe

Teacherwannabe,

Thank you for your enthusiastic support. I tend to agree that the code would not become a vehicle for ostracization of those in disagreement. Its not some sort of 10 commandments or noble eightfold path, rather I hope it will be an affirmation by responsible adults of their responsibilities to others. This is not the stark hand of regulation from some unseen big-brother boogieman but the collective decision of a group of independent individuals. Anyhow, thank you and everyone for your imput.

Cheeers

Jaga

quote:

Originally posted by Jaganath69:

I only wish you where a bit more adult in your aproach, two lines of haha does not contribute much to the debate.

"Your attitude and commentary are but one example of the dire NEED for this Code of Conduct."

I could have got angry with the above comment or laughed at it, I chose the latter.

Roger

Hi,

Teacherwannabee said:

"I get the feeling that those who object to guidelines on proper behavior fall into one or more of the following catagories:

a. They are afraid of or object to learning new things or improving themselves or their behavior

b. They object to or disdain any type of rules that they don't personally agree with

d. They could never admit that they're wrong about anything, and the words "I'm sorry" are either very difficult for them or a completely non-existant part of their vocabulary"

I am sorry, but I take offence to this.

Sanuk!

quote:

Originally posted by teacherwannabe:

Those who choose NOT to abide by the Code would NOT be ostrasized, as previously mentioned.

I get the feeling that those who object to guidelines on proper behavior fall into one or more of the following catagories:

d. They could never admit that they're wrong about anything, and the words "I'm sorry" are either very difficult for them or a completely non-existant part of their vocabulary

On the other hand we could be the type of people who know Right from Wrong already.

Teacherwannabe, If you were to come to LOS without this set of rules would you go around attacking the girls, passing on STD's,and being a general Jerk???

I hope the answer is no....

Cheers

Roger

Hi,

Teacherwannabee said:

"I get the feeling that those who object to guidelines on proper behavior fall into one or more of the following catagories:

d. They could never admit that they're wrong about anything, and the words "I'm sorry" are either very difficult for them or a

completely non-existant part of their vocabulary"

I am sorry, but I take offence to this.

Sanuk!

I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers or anyone else's. Not my intention. This is a debate. I'm entitled to an opinion.

My intention was to point-out that those who object to this idea are not properly weighing the pros vs. the cons.

My intention was emphasize that the benefits of Jaga's idea far outweigh the down side. We would be providing a tool that would enhance and encourage social responsibility. The unwritten rules and expectations (i.e. - what's generally acceptable and not acceptable) are not readily apparent or obvious to newbies. Furthermore, ALL of us can stand to learn and be reminded of what's right and wrong.

This is my last post on this issue. My views are known. Thanks for the opportunity to express my point of view.

teacherwannabe

teacherwannabe said, "Furthermore, ALL of us can stand to learn and be reminded of what's right and wrong."

really!! like you can tell all of us what is right and what is wrong- must feel good to be so righteous

[ June 30, 2001: Message edited by: tanha ]

Archived