Q for comp hardware geeks...

I just installed a new processor in #1 daughter's comp, going from a Celeron 600 to a P3 733 so she can play some of the more advanced games.

Now the processor is marked Pentium 3 and uses a 133mHz front-side bus (FSB) speed. It works fine at that setting. For reference AFAIK all Socket 370 Celerons use a 66mHz FSB speed. Is that a correct assumption?

The problem is that the BIOS upon startup reports that the CPU is a Celeron 733. Could this be a error in the lookup table that the BIOS uses to check the CPU ID or is this a Celeron and I got rolled at Panthip? I tend to think the former, as I cannot believe that a Celeron would work when set at 133mHz FSB. The MoBo is not auto select -- the dip switches are set for 133mHz FSB and 5.5x clock multiplier.

Everything seems to be working fine, so this is not too important. I am just wondering is the error (if that's what it is) will cause any problems down the road? I mean, do any programs use that look-up table to define their settings?

I suppose that this is why I only paid B1K for the brand new processor...

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok buddy. I just emailed you a little program that will test and report your CPU to you. It is some of my Geekware that I use for checking computers, especially older ones that don't tell you what Speed etc is inside. ::

Can't fool old foxy when I have this one.

Thanks. Interesting to see what it sez. I am thinking that if it uses the look-up table in the processor, then it will report back Celeron. It does not look the same as my old Celeron which makes me believe that it IS a P3. :dunno:

I am also thinking that these things failed QC for this reason (fucked up look-up table) and is why they were sold new in the box at a low price...

Will report back later today.

Cheers,

SD

Nope, this one will tell you if you have a Celeron or a P3 That's its job. :bow:

Handy to know when you buy used stuff that may have been doctored or hi-graded.

Very normal. The thing about computers is the processors are fast and memory cannot keep up. So what happens is internally the processor runs quick at 733MHz and when it needs to access memory slows down to 133MHz.

And by the way, the biggest gains in game performance are going to come from the graphics card.

> And by the way, the biggest gains in game performance are

> going to come from the graphics card.

Yes, my feeling as well, especially for games. (And there's a big gain in adding memory for games as well as everything else, especially when memory was on the low side to begin with.)

When buying a new computer, processor speed is pretty much the LAST consideration.

Also note that for a while I've been VERY gradually improving a computer, swapping out and improving component parts one after the other. Guess what, there also was a SERIOUS performance gain when I swapped out the main board, but left everything else the same, including the CPU!

When buying a new computer I would list priorities probably exactly the other way around from the way 'most people' do. I'd start with a nice screen and keyboard, (and perhaps printer if printed matter was a reason for getting a computer). These are the things you interact with most, and in case of the printer are the 'result' of your work. I think these things are FAR more important than the difference between some shade, shape or speed of the CPU.

(Not to mention that the depreciation rate of a good screen is far better than the depreciation of a CPU... I like to spend my money where it lasts; a good screen will still be a good screen 3 years down the line. The CPU however will be completely worthless by that time. ;-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Escape Rabbit said:

Very normal. The thing about computers is the processors are fast and memory cannot keep up. So what happens is internally the processor runs quick at 733MHz and when it needs to access memory slows down to 133MHz.

And by the way, the biggest gains in game performance are going to come from the graphics card.

I think you missed the point here ER :banghead: Tiger is refering the FSB or Front Side Bus, a component of the motherboard, which really has nothing to do with CPU speed, but rather the speed available to the Ram (memory).

His concern was, as I understand it, if he got a Celeron Chip or the PIII CPU he paid for. This little program will tell him that WITHOUT removing and reseating the CPU. (Not the most simple of tasks sometimes)

And Yes, I agree that the Graphics card is FAR more important in gaming than the CPU differences mentioned here........... and a LOTS (512MB) of Ram helps too. I personally doubt he will see much difference in gaming between the 2 CPUs he has mentioned.

Archived