Greek Food in BKK

frogpatrol

Bangkok George and I had a night on the town last night, which began with some fine German Wheat Beer at his home, and then was followed food at Athena Restaurant and then drinks at Mystique.

This post deals with the food part of the night, which was very disappointing. I am not sure how many Greek restaurants there are in BKK (anyone know?), but this one, at least on this occasion, was poor.

We began with an extended wait (15 minutes) to order. The menu selection was quite good, but noticeably the prices were high across the board. The platters, in particular, were in the 900 baht and up range.

We went with a tomato and egg appetizer, which oddly looked like steak tartar. It had a splash of oregeno in it, but overall was very bland. Given the long wait between the appetizer and main course, we ate it very slowly, but it surely didn't get any better with time.

And yes, the appetizer took about 25 minutes to arrive. After another 25 or so minutes, the main courses arrived - VERY small portions and quite expensive for what we received. I had some lamb with boiled potatoes, which were very average. Surely, pretty much anyone could make this themselves for a fraction of the cost. George's wasn't much better.

All in all, very costly (1,400 for two, no alcohol, 1 shared appetizer, 2 main courses), small servings, long wait, and quite average on the taste buds.

Not sure if anyone can suggest any other Greek food, but if so, please do. George commented on how servings in Greek restaurants in Germany tend to be quite large. Certainly not the case here.

froggo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never tried it but there is a rest. called Olive Kebab and Cafe which describes itself as "a little touch of Greece in Bangkok". It is on 2nd floor of CRC Towers (All Seasons Place) On Wireless Road near Conrad.

Their menu doesn't seem to extensive or expensive and some of it sounds like fast foods (ie curly fries for 49 baht!) They have Kebabs, souviaki and other greek-sounding food with the avg price of 100-125 baht.

Froggy,

I also love Greek food. I've had the same experience with Athena - but right now I haven't found anything else in town. I'll have to try the one in All Season's Place soon.

Cheers!

Review: Greek Food is better in Athens

Although the interior looks a bit like a restaurant found in Greece there is less than the typical jovial and happy atmosphere found in restaurants on this lovely island. The staff looks as if they hate the outfits that they wear as they never look very happy or pleasant. The whole place has a "matter of fact" atmosphere and the food is Greek in style but less than acceptable in taste. The prices are too high as the soup I had was about 165 baht and the taste was only fair. The homemade bread is delightful but that is about the only thing that I enjoyed.

Might be of interest that food by phone has extensive menu's online of many specialty type restaurants. Nice for browsing and ordering from home. My experience with this service is it works well, but the portions are pretty small for such high baht stuff; a whole platter might arrive in a tiny tupperware container.

www.foodbyphonebkk.com

Olive - Kebab & Cafe

2nd Floor, CRC Tower (Near Tops City Market)

"All Seasons Place Retail Centre"

87 Wireless Road, Bangkok

Tel/Fax: 02-685-3989

Olive - Kebab & Cafe

Open daily from 11 am - 9 pm. Well, not exactly - as I went there at 8:30 and they were basically closed. Not a sit down place at all, with only three stools at the cashier bar to eat at.

The menu includes Kebab & Wraps (Chicken, Pork, Beef and Lamb), Souvlaki (Chicken or Pork), Spaghetti, Salads and side orders to include "Tyropitakia", "Spanakopitakia" and "Kreatopitakia" - whatever they are they only cost 49 baht for 2 pieces or 69 baht for 3.

Since they were closed, the best option was to eat at:

Pomodoro

Ground Floor, CRC Tower, All Seasons Place

87/2 Wireless Road, Lumpini

Phathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Tel: 02-685-3930-1

Fax: 02-685-3932

email: kith75@hotmail.com

Ok food, I believe that this is the third or fourth Pomodoro around town.

Cheers!

Interesting as Pomodoro is Italy speeko for tomato!

If you want the Greek action you can always find a preop LB at Nana and pay her to service your dumpster or oyu can service her!

>side orders to include "Tyropitakia", "Spanakopitakia" and "Kreatopitakia" - whatever they are they only cost 49 baht for 2 pieces or 69 baht for 3.

Tyro (should be "thiro")= cheese

Spanako = spinach

Kreato = meat

Had been deeply involved with Greeks in my previous life, can tell you these meals are delicious. Not meant to be a main course though. Usally served with drinks.

Will try the place next time in BKK.

Archived