It's all relative and the 5 baht scam

rmorris22

Thats a poor attitude to take. If you need work you take anything. If your moniker represents your line of work, then good for you, however you never know when one could be down sized and 60 000 baht is attractive.

Also statements such as " I wouldnt get out of bed for that..." are obnoxious... and be-little those who do.. In my whole life the only people who I have heard issue such statements have been people who one would regard as cheap.

STH

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] University: In state student pays about 25% of what an out of state student would pay. [/color]

Yeah but they can later become in-state residents. And it is in-state tax money that supports the Unis.

We pay tax in Thailand, but we still get charged like "outsiders" based on race. If it was based on where we reside, like your example above, it would be a different story.

Anyways this subject is tired and been done many times before. In case you've missed it, your side always loses.

:neener:

I am swiss and back home we ALL pay the same

-----------------------

Yeah, who goes to Switzerland for vacation? :D

I am certainly happy to hear the swiss are the fairest people. Just wondering about all these monies deported jews and their family have been suing for decades. Then we have all the dictators billions account.....

Not starting anything, but when it comes to principles, no nation has the upper hand.

It may not be fair, but we can all vote with our feet.

My POV is that there are so many instances that people do not overcharge in Thailand*and are rather principled, that i do not make it a big problem in Thailand in the scheme of staying there.

*like the countless times I have a flat tire, stranded between 2 cities, and the fixing motobiketaxi kids could take advantage, but it's always the same 30 or 40 bahts for years.

PS: are we talking about TAT practices in natl parks or sellers in the market, BTW? Samesame?

SuziB

In case you've missed it, your side always loses.

---------------------------------------

What is there to lose??? Is it a contest?

We pay tax in Thailand, but we still get charged like "outsiders" based on race. If it was based on where we reside, like your example above, it would be a different story.

It is an old story, but let me throw a little gasoline on the fire.

It is clearly based on race. I know a Farang with Thai nationality. He speaks Thai fluently and has a Thai ID card. When he asks, in perfect Thai, why he needs to pay more to enter a national park when he has Thai nationality, he is told, bluntly, it is because of his white skin. But when a Thai drives up in a brand new Mercedes while this conversation is happening, he is admitted at the "Thai price". I have been there when this happened.

Ability to pay has nothing to do with it. Apologists can sugar coat it all they want, but it is racism pure and simple.

Pattaya127, you are missing the point.

Actually, looking above, Suzibandit's response is better...yawn. I should have learned by now not to expect better or even bother responding to post like your's. My mistake.

Pattaya127, you are missing the point.

---------------------------------

What, that alot of you keep going on and on about thais this and thais that, and forget to ask yourself what the .F.. you are doing there (REALLY doing there, not "I have a job" stuff), because this is the fucking 3rd world out there, and stop expecting them to sell pussy for 20$ while abiding by your great principles. The reason why most people stay in Thailand is because they are tired of all the straight-jacketing of life back home, and how you're supposed to be and look, and speak and etc..... Then you'd come here and ask thais to act like home!?!?

The answer in the poll about the 5 baht told who win the argument: do something about it if you can and move on, life is waiting for you, and that's why you're here (LOS) and not there (HOME). Take the bad and the good, full speed ahead. Soon, we are all dead anywway.

What, that alot of you keep going on and on about thais this and thais that, and forget to ask yourself what the .F.. you are doing there (REALLY doing there, not "I have a job" stuff), because this is the fucking 3rd world out there, and stop expecting them to sell pussy for 20$ while abiding by your great principles. The reason why most people stay in Thailand is because they are tired of all the straight-jacketing of life back home, and how you're supposed to be and look, and speak and etc..... Then you'd come here and ask thais to act like home!?!?
And your point is....?

Cutting through all of the expletives, clichés and dense, rambling prose, it appears that we simply cannot criticize Thailand if we live here - full stop. Right? Suzibandit is right: we have been down this argument before, and your side does always lose.

There is no point in wasting any more gasoline on this fire when the only thing left to burn are the ashes of that silly old argument.

there is actually somewhere some sort of a law which states that foreigners who are paying taxes here are excempt from the double pricing.

personally, if i have to pay such a extra fee i will not enter. it is pure racism. fortunately though here in thailand i can avoid it most of the time. in china and india i can't. which pisses me off a lot more.

Archived