It's all relative and the 5 baht scam

rmorris22

Double pricing?? Like it does not happen in the US and in Europe. Just look at the tax rates. the more you make the more you pay. All we hear about is the poor farang that gets over charged because of the color of his skin. Let's just talk about the big one, like a national park where a Thai person pays 40 baht and the poor Farang pays 400 baht. It sounds like alot but if you factor in the fact that the average Thai makes about 5000 baht per month and the farang makes about 60000 baht per month, look at the percentage. The Thai still pays more at .8% of his monthly income vs the Farang who pays .6% of his monthly income. Of course this means you are in Thailand under a legal status.

And, I have to say this, but, it is pretty ballsy to emphatically state that "this is my city" when legally you don't even have the right to vote. It is not your city or even OUR city, it is their city and you/we are guests. When those of you who are so disgruntled realize this then you time in Thailand will be much better.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Let's just talk about the big one, like a national park where a Thai person pays 40 baht and the poor Farang pays 400 baht. It sounds like alot but if you factor in the fact that the average Thai makes about 5000 baht per month and the farang makes about 60000 baht per month, look at the percentage. The Thai still pays more at .8% of his monthly income vs the Farang who pays .6% of his monthly income."

Of course that Thai person who makes 200-300K a month still only pays 20 Baht (it's 20 and 200, not 40 and 400), which means it is *not* related to your income.

Sanuk!

When I'm faced with 5 baht surcharge I generally pay and don't care, whereas my mate watches every satang and will have a stand up argument over 5 baht.

So when travelling together I discovered that in effect I was subsidizing him, which concerned me more that the original 5 baht rip offs.

So now I pay close attention to the price and often tip if I find good service.

And if I am ripped off I never go there again, in two years, next time I'm in LOS, I'm sure they'll suffer.

:)

Coss

Gosh!! I did'nt know that the average Thai makes 200k to 300K per month. I work for a larger multi-intenational and I was under the impression we only pay our labor 200 baht per day. I will go and re-verify what we pay.

But as far as double pricing I know it happens in the US and in Europe. Just a couple of examples in the US.

University: In state student pays about 25% of what an out of state student would pay.

Golf: some municipal golf courses charge more for non residents

The bottom line is why should we be so special in Thailand??

Also....Studies show that in the west>>>> Women get charged more than men when it comes to buying a new car and getting car repairs than for men. In my opinion that would be a scam. getting ripped off for 5 baht is not a scam.

Hi,

"Gosh!! I did'nt know that the average Thai makes 200k to 300K per month."

Who said anything about average? You are implying that since a farang makes more money than a Thai he should pay more. It therefor should be just as valid that if a Thai makes more than a farang (or average Thai) he too should pay more.

Sanuk!

You are being more than a bit asinine here. If you quoted *any* of those examples on *race* and race alone, you may have had an arguement.

The whole point here is that a thai who earns more than a farang would *still* get the lower rate, while a farang, however lowly paid would pay the higher rate, even if he was a resident.

-j-

I dont agree. It is a principle matter and not a a question of colour or race. How about these rich Chinese/Honkies/Singaporeans/Japanese or Americans who just happen to be of asian race? This is nonsense. I am swiss and back home we ALL pay the same including the rich Thai's who are flying in First to get their nails done in Geneva. Or should I tell my goverment to give them a discount because they are so poor and only make 6000THB a month?:banghead: How about back packers from overseas, uh? Why they have to pay so much money to get on to Koh Samed? If you have ever been a student you know how tight it can be ( unless you were / are a rich kid). I do not agree on these mark ups, even that I do have the money to pay for. Again, it is a matter of principle and equality. Cheers,

Actually, morris does have a point, point to which I do not agree to......

Same happens here in Europe, when as an habitant from Antwerp I want to visit any museum in Antwerp, entrance is free, same with all other cities in Belgium if you are a resident in them.

Still not fair.....

BB

Hi BB,

if the museums are fully financed by the entrance fees or national taxes I agree. But if - and that's normally so - the local taxpayers pay most of the costs they have already paid more than you!

elef

Archived