It's all relative and the 5 baht scam

rmorris22

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>you happy with your life in thailand? Just asking because sometimes, I sense a lot of bitterness or resentment behind the posts, but maybe it's the written form.

Bwahahaha. What did you do, cut and paste from my post to Zaad in the "Minor annoyance" thread?

Anyway, go back and re-read that thread, you will find my position about life in Thailand pretty clearly laid out there...

-j-

Think you have misunderstood me. All I was trying to point out that any arguement based on "Thai's should have a lower entry etc to park as they pay taxes here" is a fallicious one.

1. The majority of Thai's do not pay taxes and

2. A great number of foreign residents *do* pay taxes.

all of which kinda undercuts the logic.

I view the "double pricing" as one of the "hidden costs" of staying in Thailand. Not a good thing, but a fact of life. Brooding over it, getting upset about it really has no demonstratable outcome except to perhaps satisfy the person in question.

You will also note, from my previous post, that about 50% of the time, I *do* get the local price on presentation of my work ID card. So, I really don't think of myself as a "victim" in any way shape or form.

There *are* issues in Thailand I feel (very) strongly about, but they do *not* include paying 5 baht extra for my chicken, or indeed 300 baht extra to get into an amusement park (see "minor annoyance" thread).

-j-

Fair enough, although I still think I am correct in saying that it does not apply to the situation in Thailand.

So, for example in Belgium, if I showed a residents permit (or tax permit), would I get the local rate or not?

-j-

RM22,

I have no problem with price differencing if well-reasoned, fair, and just.

In LOS, it is neither.

It is racial discrimination without any intelligence what so ever.

Resident price break is fine if it applies to everyone and not determined by race. (ie. chiang mai zoo is strictly racial)

I am a resident here. I pay taxes, spend outside money here (and making nothing compared to what i made in the west) yet I pay higher falang prices.

Why should i pay 500B more in a ratchada massage parlor when my american-asian visitors who don't speak a word of Thai and don't give a shit about thai culture get the asian price. They are making western salaries while i am getting paid thai wages (set for falangs).....

How do you reason that?

Cardinalblue

Rmorris22,

And, I have to say this, but, it is pretty ballsy to emphatically state that "this is my city" when legally you don't even have the right to vote. It is not your city or even OUR city, it is their city and you/we are guests. When those of you who are so disgruntled realize this then you time in Thailand will be much better.

Why did you include this in your post? You should have started a new thread if you can't resist to give your opinion on this.

Well IMO it's more of a personal thing. Calling a city "my city" merely reflects how one feels about the place where one lives, works, feels comfortable and most importantly feels at home. Yes, one might not BE home but one surely can FEEL as being home.

And there's nothing ballsy about that. And it certainly doesn't depend on one's right to vote. I, for one, do have the right to vote in Holland, but if I for some reason don't feel at home there (for being Portuguese, feeling as an outsider or whatever reason) then I wouldn't dare to call in "my city". But I do feel at home so I do call it my city.

I used this term in another thread and you should have given your opinion about it in there.

Anyway, for me it's a personal reflection, nothing more nothing less.

The Nation did list the top 200 taxpayers about five or six years ago. The idea was to encourage compliance with tax laws by giving recoginition to those who paid their taxes. It was a complete disaster.

A majority on the list (about 120) were Farangs, and many very wealthy Thais - who were obviously much wealthier than the listed Farangs - did not make the list. Many of those very wealthy Thais who failed to make the list are now in prominent positions in the current government (and I will just leave it at that).

It was a major loss of face for Thai because anyone with a half a brain knew that the list simply demonstrated that Farangs are more likely, in general, to pay their taxes than Thais. And the Farangs who were on the list weren't happy either because it potentially made them unwanted targets of scams, thefts, jealousy and jibs.

Archived