Thai upbringing- Good or Bad?

Zaad

Hi,

As far as my experiences and observations go here in Thailand (5 years) I've seen a lot of misbehaving kids in both Bangkok and Phitsanulok.

I guess this is a common sight wherever one lives, but here upcountry is seems to be worsening by the day.

And I'm not talking about the minor cases such as running in and around public places, supermarkets, restaurants, shopping malls, grabbing whatever is in their reach (Christ, one kid even dared to grab my 'toolbox' and said "djoo?" / penis? "yes, it's my freakin penis now get lost!!!), no. I'm talking about using vulgar (Thai) language, shouting and disagreeing with parents, calling their very own parents names! or even talking back when put on their place. Whining loudly and complaining at the age of 8+! Such behavior is acceptable from babies/infants but not 8-10 year olds.

I've seen this myself in 5-6 families here. And not the poorest families so to speak of. My girl claims to have seen it elsewhere too but luckily not in her own family. And I'm glad we both agree that such behavior will not be accepted or tolerated in our family if we plan to have a few kids of our own someday.

Is this the bad way or the Thai way (in general)?

Limbo,

I have seen it too many times and it not only makes me sick but it also makes me worry about this city's future and perhaps the Thai future.

There's a private school where I work part-time and believe me 50% of those kids could do with a few tough 'discipline lessons'.

I have the feeling they aren't taught anything at home and it's expected to get ALL their education at school.

That's why I don't do kids anymore.

DEpends on the village I guess, we have a fairly good crowd at our place, and also I see the reverse of what you talk about Zaad,

For instance, I see kids who are so diciplined that they must have to internalize all play, all they do is work, no time off to be fre and imaginative.

That said I do see annoying kids as well (JingJoe herself on a bad day, but then she's two, so I guess thats ok)

All in all, I don't want a kid that is so booring all they do is quietly sit in a corner, nor do I want one bouncing of the ceilings, something inbetween is good for everyone.

It also is also the old Thai thing of "BOys can do what they want, Girls are mums slaves" attitude which I do see a lot off, especially at the village level.

JB

Limbo,

You have an eye for detail. Too bad I can't edit my post anymore. Thanks anyway, will remind myself to be more careful next time.

ND,

I understand you.

Kids NEED to be kids and that includes, playing/ running around, giving us head aches at times :) etc. as long as they're well-behaved and most importantly listen (obbey) parents' words.

Guest lazyphil

OK!!--I took the nipper to playgroup today (surrounded by chunky falange womin ::) and I can report here some kids are simply appallingly behaved--my little girl is quite sensitive and one horrible brat kept barging in front of her when she was trying to climb onto the slide, I felt like belting the little bastard but her mum looked quite big and scary so I'll send the wee one to Kung Foo classes when shes old enough to beat the crap out of brats like this!

btw--anyone been to a playgroup in falange land as a parent :(

LOL!

Phil, yes, not nice to see such behavior from kids. But I guess bragging is their thing. What I disgust much more is parents who are aware of such situations and do shit about it, or pretend to ignore, or actually think it's cute!!! :banghead:

Was the big scary mum aware of what was happening at the slide? :)

Hi Zaad,

I guess this is a common sight wherever one lives, but here upcountry is seems to be worsening by the day

Where I usually stay in a mubaan upcountry in Issarn I see none of this behaviour I am happy to say.

Kids may take a few liberties with me until they realize that I actually understand the local lingo and snap back. That is usually the end of that.

No way they would act up with any adults in the village or with their parents or they would have a hard time coming.

Another thing is that I guess we are all too familiar with farang children being very particular about food, never saw that around here. If you don´t eat the food served for you.... Well, your loss.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived