US Embassy ???

I will be purchasing a personal vehicle while in LOS this trip, and have been told that I need some type of Residency Statement from the Embassy to purchase/register the vehicle.. Does anyone know what the proceedure is and how long it might take at the Embassy???

Pianoman

It takes about 45 minutes, maybe a bit longer now with all the security required to get into the Embassy.

Bring your passport, and a good idea to bring some document (bill or something else) to show your address.

Also, don't forget the baht, I believe it is still about USD 65.00 to get the document, because it needs to be notarized. This may have been reduced this year, but you should have enough baht to pay for the service.

You may be able to get a substitute document from Thai Immigration for THB 500 - I haven't tried this but a few others on this board have said that they have done this and it worked for getting the drivers license.

Cheers!

It takes about 45 minutes, maybe a bit longer now with all the security required to get into the Embassy.

That assumes he lives in Thailand and has a non immigrant visa but from his post this may not be the case.

Believe cost of notary service is under $40 now and can still be paid in $ if you have them; although have not done for a few years.

Actually, it does not take me very long to enter the Embassy. I would even expect it to be much more difficult than it is.

Is this the same statement you need for your driver's license? If so, it's basically just them notarizing your sworn statement that this is where you live, then charging you ana rm and a leg. It doesn't even carry any real authority They are not guaranteeing that this IS where you live; they are merely affirming that you swear this is where you live.

Of course, if you can afford a vehicle in Thailand, you can afford the notary fee.

Thanks for the feed back... I am coming over on a 6 month Non-Im.. multiple entry visa.. I am preparing to retire within the next 6 months to a year... I have rented a house up in Issan... Sounds like the notorized statement from the Embassy is the way to go..

Thanks again,

Pianoman

$30 for the first document, $20 for each additional document.

Grabii

lopburi3 said:

Believe cost of notary service is under $40 now and can still be paid in $ if you have them; although have not done for a few years.

If you ask, the car registration folks and the drivers licensing people will return your notarized copy of your address and accept a xerox copy only. You only have show the original. Keep it as it may save you another trip to the embassy and another 1200 baht.

Grabi and Kahuna have it right . . . Enter the US Embassy (the entrance on the east side of Wittayu), very quick as the guards just look at your passport, and have you walk through a metal detector.

Once you are inside the embassy office, go to the first windows on your right (you may have to wait in a line), tell a staff member you want to have a document notarized verifying your identidy and address for the purpose of buying a vehicle. The document will also request you state the prurpoe of the affidavit (I simply put buying a vehicle).

You will then be requested to pay 1200 baht at another cashier's window, get a receipt, and present it back to the first window to get the notarized statement from the embassy staff.

It also irked me to pay 1200 baht for the embassy staff simply to stamp a piece of paper for which I did all the work and assume all the responsibility.

shot,

Being a bit pedantic, the embassy is on the west side of Wittayu.

The property on the east side is the embassy annex, the site of the consular section. It is the consulate that you describe (very clearly and accurately) in your post, not the embassy proper.

Grabii

shotover said:

Grabi and Kahuna have it right . . . Enter the US Embassy (the entrance on the east side of Wittayu), very quick as the guards just look at your passport, and have you walk through a metal detector.

Once you are inside the embassy office, go to the first windows on your right (you may have to wait in a line), tell a staff member you want to have a document notarized verifying your identidy and address for the purpose of buying a vehicle. The document will also request you state the prurpoe of the affidavit (I simply put buying a vehicle).

You will then be requested to pay 1200 baht at another cashier's window, get a receipt, and present it back to the first window to get the notarized statement from the embassy staff.

It also irked me to pay 1200 baht for the embassy staff simply to stamp a piece of paper for which I did all the work and assume all the responsibility.

Grabii said:

shot,

Being a bit pedantic, the embassy is on the west side of Wittayu.

The property on the east side is the embassy annex, the site of the consular section. It is the consulate that you describe (very clearly and accurately) in your post, not the embassy proper.

You're right. I should have used the term "consular" rather than the embassy. Based on my experience, it was the consular office on the east side of Wittayu I went to when I got a notary statement for registering my vehicle.

Archived