Health Insurance for 40,000 baht per month is...

From memory, it seems that this question has been been covered in the past, but a search of this forum doesn't show anything recent on this subject, so here goes:

I'm 53, retired in Thailand, and about to run out of health insurance coverage from my U.S. based carrier. I expect a new U.S. based policy to run about 40,000 baht per month since I have been diagnosed as type II diabetic. The coverage is way out of line with my needs as medical care in Thailand is much less expensive than in the U.S. (experience over the last few years shows about a 5:1 ratio!) I can handle the routine expenses out-of-pocket with no problem, I'm just looking for coverage for when I get The Big One, whether its here in Thailand or while visiting in the U.S., which is about 3 one-month trips per year.

So, the questions are: 1. Can anyone recommend a good insurance agent? 2. Can anyone recommend a good insurance plan?

Looking for ideas, my thanks in advance

RickF

>So, the questions are: 1. Can anyone recommend a good insurance agent? 2. Can anyone recommend a good insurance plan?

If you go with BUPA, for your age it may be 40K or so - per year.

I am with CIGNA, covers anything anywhere in the world (only dental requires 50% participation), even my gf in BKK is fully covered as my "dependant".

However, my company pays for that, I have no ida how much it is. The insurance is US based, search for "CIGNA expat health insurance." If it is affordable, that will cover you in both US and Thai.

A few months ago I posted in Family Life a detailed list of coverage, see there if you are interested.

>>>I expect a new U.S. based policy to run about 40,000 baht per month since I have been diagnosed as type II diabetic.<<<

i don't know much about insurances, and actually would like to know more.

but one of the things i have read in all the contracts here was that it pays for everything APART from preexisting conditions and related illnesses to them.

now, it would be very useful for me if anyone here knows a private insurance which is not too expensive and which does not have such a clause in the contract.

Unfortunately, I think you will be paying more than $1,500 per month (60,000 B) for a US health policy when they know you have diabetes. I have a friend in the US in his fifties in that situation and he has his diabetes under control.

As was mentioned, you will not get med coverage for anything that is pre-existing (or even remotely connected to a current condition) in a Thai policy. I suggest you check out BUPA or any of the other major carriers in Thailand and send an email inquiring about coverage. Might have difficulties with trips to the US if coverage is required because Thai policies that I have seen, only give you "Thai" coverage for trips abroad (ie 2,500 baht for a daily hospital room rate, policy limits apply, etc).

Can you get coverage from a group employer policy and then convert it to a COBRA policy when you leave that would give you a years extra coverage?

RickF,

It is interesting to hear about someone who has taken the plunge and retired to Thailand, especially since I am considering such a move myself in the next few years. Would you care to share your experience, pluses and minuses? I would be interested to hear about finances, expat scene, language issues, etc.

Khun Pad Thai

Thanks for all the input.

Its you fellows who provide really useful information that make this board stand out from the rest!

I am now studying the opitons. BUPA looks pretty good. I', sorry to hear you are not able to sneak in under the radar anylonger.

Thank you again.

RickF

Interesting that people here are saying they thai policies) won't cover pre-existing conditions (PEC's) under any cirumstances.

I've studied US health insurance extensively, and most policies (i.e., BCBS) will cover PEC's if you had health insurance in the past with no break in coverage up to the present. And if you don't meet that requirement, they usually will cover PEC's after a 10 or 12 month "waiting period".

One question I have about thai policies (such as bupa) is the residency requirement. I'm spending more and more time in thailand, and in the future i may spend more than half a year here, and the rest in US (remaining a us resident officially). Can I get a thai policy as long as just have a thai mailbox address? Or does one need to prove something about residency...how long, etc? In the US it's very strict. You have to be a resident of a particular state (and part of a state) to get individual coverage.

Archived