better word for "darling"

iuytrede

in another thread CB said GTGs don't use "darling".

What word can I recommend GTGs to use instead of darling?

I am not a native speaker of English. Do "sweetie" or "honey" sound any better? (In my ears they sound even worse, but maybe I am wrong)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just teach her your local equalent whatever language that may be and/or use the thai variants aka (sud)tirak, narak, tisud, khun jaa etc.

works great for us & no problem using darling, honey, dear, sweetheart either ;)

don't be so worried about GTG's they're just girls like anywhere in the world :beer:

Hi iuytrede

in another thread CB said GTGs don't use "darling".

Wow. So now we have a foolproof indicator to tell whether a thai female is a BG or GTG? :)

Different people different strokes.

Why don´t you ask her what word she would feel comfortable using?

Cheers

Hua Nguu

>>>the thai variants aka (sud)tirak, narak, tisud, khun jaa etc. <<<

'tisud' doesn't actually stand on its own. so, for example, if a girl calls you "hia ti sud" that does not mean that she loves you a lot, but, freely translated, that you are the biggest piece of shite (compared to hia standing alone, which just means that you are a normal piece of shite, or literally translated - a monitor lizard). ::

>>>in another thread CB said GTGs don't use "darling".<<<

i would consider that urban legend.

in most english teaching books the term 'darling' is commonly used, and so of course they will use darling as well if they speak english.

and they generally do not separate themselves consciously from a bargirl by avoiding the word 'darling' as they hardly know the particular colloquials of a bargirl tinglish. ;)

so, yes, darling can be used, either if you really mean it within a relationship, or if you want to be sarcastic.

i have to add though that there are other particular terms and expressions you should not use, such as asking such a "GTG" if she goes short- or long time, or if she 'samokes'. using those terms could under circumstances be a bit embarassing, or slightly offending. ::

You could ask her to call you "Viraburut" .

"My hero"

Extremely "Choey" or old fashioned but it's a sort of standing joke between my wife and I - occasionally when she chases the Mormon Misionaries or other botherers away from the gate I (teasingly) call her "Virasatree" .

>>>>You could ask her to call you "Viraburut" .

"My hero"<<<<

good idea! :up:

i will make that form of adress to our new houserule!

...well, hmmm,...at least i will make a carefully considered proposal... ::

>in most english teaching books the term 'darling' is commonly used, and so of course they will use darling as well if they speak english.

FlyW, my champion, have you ever thought that "darling" pronounced by bgs sounds like "dah-ling" - means "monkey's arse"?

Tell the people, you are the man in the know.

I would like to know what native speakers of English would use as a term of address.

In TV I - like the Thais - see "darling", "honey", "sweetie", "sweetheart" and to me this sounds all incredibly fake.

I have had only one GF who was a native speaker of English and she didn't use any of these.

I know GTGs who use these words - mostly "darling" - and I really would like to know whether I should tell them to use something else.

>>>"dah-ling" - means "monkey's arse"?<<<

unless there is a certain slang word for arse which is called "dah" and of which i am not aware of, then the only connection i can think of right now possible to "ling" monkey is "da" - eye - "monkey's eye".

now, is monkey necessarily a bad attribute in thai tradition? i don't think so. some of the tattoo cults i am partial to the monkey tattoo is a favourite of many - the monkey here is a bit of a jester, jumping around, being aware of everthing, taking life not too serious, avoiding conflict, but when cornered will be a fierce opponent not to underestimate.

hanuman - the monkey king from the ramakien (the thai version of the hindu epic ramayana) is one of the most powerful, fierce and respected tattoos here, preferred tattoo by the serious naklaeng (fighting gangsters). it also demands of the tattooed tremendous selfdiscipline so that the power of the tattoo does not overwhelm him. he has to adhere to strict rules and mantras to keep the power in check.

and no, for my next session i do not consider hanuman, i tend more towards the monkey as it fits more to my real life character. ;)

anyhow, i will check up on bargirl slang when i meet one (or one former one the next time if there is some slang word for arse called "dah".

i do suspect though that it has more to do with the accent than with anything else. and anyhow, how should i know? when i joke around with a bargirl, she generally stretches out a "tiraaaaak ja" then a "daaahling", but most prefer to talk with me about more important matters such as rice harvest and other agricultural techniques, and neither a 'dahling' nor a 'tirak' enter the conversation much, more a 'pi fly' or 'khun fly'.

satisfied? ;)

Archived