better word for "darling"

iuytrede

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, just checked with the missus. "daak ling", it means "monkey's hamhoroid", LOL. she thought that this somehow is more funny than really insulting.

>yes, just checked with the missus. "daak ling", it means "monkey's hamhoroid", LOL. she thought that this somehow is more funny than really insulting.

Yes, funny, but a farang being called that does not know he is being made fun of.

A guy I saw at Pattaya beach with his last night's barfine (a group of guys and 3 bgs) thought he was loved like never before while his bg was petting his head and repeating "daak-ling", "my daak-ling"...and him mocking her pronunciation returning "yes...you loved the blast last night from your daak-ling, haa? want more?".

(I overheard it as "daah-ling" but now we know it was "daak-ling")

I overheard it as "daah-ling"

----------------------------

maybe she said darling then? Were the other girls showing they were on that supposed joke?

and as FlyW's missus said, it's more funny than insulting. I wonder what, other than the pun, a monkey's hemorroid is referring to. She was most likely not derogatory to the guy.

Nice to hear you can join with the crowd in Jomtien, though it's 5kms long, wiht plenty of quieter spots, not so associated with the "scene" :grinyes:....... :cover:

>maybe she said darling then? Were the other girls showing they were on that supposed joke?

They were all giggling, sounded like general fun, not a response to the joke. Maybe she was doing that as the guy's head was shaved as a bulb?

>Nice to hear you can join with the crowd in Jomtien, though it's 5kms long, wiht plenty of quieter spots, not so associated with the "scene"

It was more than a year ago on a day trip when I don't really care where I sit - just wherever first available parking spot happens to be.

dunno, but the tones of 'dak-ling' make it not too easy to use it instead of 'darling'. anyhow, according to the missus, that 'dak ling' is common, and does not really just have a relation to 'darling'. she said in the hirarchy of insults this one is mainly used as a funny tease between friends, not really possible to say in in anger, or to use it as a real humilation.

listening in what bargirls sometimes say about their customers (or boyfriends) when under themselves can be far more enlightening...

> Yes, funny, but a farang being called that does not

> know he is being made fun of.

Makes it all the more fun I should say. ;-) The tone is quite different though: /daak'/ is a low tone. Even though most Thais wouldn't pronounce the 'r' in darling even if their life depended on it, it would still come out as /daa- ling/ , no low tone there.

Cheers,

Chanchao

In TV I - like the Thais - see "darling", "honey", "sweetie", "sweetheart" and to me this sounds all incredibly fake.

All the above terms really belong to film scripts of the 50's, but having said that they could all still be used between an established older couple without any derogatory nuance or insincerity being indicated. I think it is unlikley a young person would use these terms with any real sincerity in any situation other than a long term relationship, and even then not likley. All the terms can be used in a sarcastic manner by subtle changes in pronunciation, but it would be difficult for non native speaker to determine this.

so what terms - if any - would younger people use?

I really wish I could help you with this! but since I am not a teenager any longer, :( the truth is I don't know. You need to consult a few regular young people for an accurate answer. :)

Archived