Best parts of a cow: udder and placeta

I was surprised to find out that the udder and placeta (from a new born calf) are the most expensive part of a cow in Thailand. How many have eaten these delicacies?

Not tripe. Some Thais gather the placenta before the mother cow can eat it. To some, it is a real delicacy.

As for the udders, this is from a full grown cow. Thais are not the only ones that I know that eat this. Some Germans are known to eat the udders.

I have eaten udder when I was a small child, my great aunt used to cook it and apparantley I was very fond of the stuff. From memory it looked and tasted like chicken but since it was so long ago I can't be sure. Lots of strange things were eaten in those times including Chicklings (pigs intestines stuffed with fat) :( Black pudding (pigs blood and fat) scratchings (fried pig skin) Brains and 'sweetmeats' ::

>>>Lots of strange things were eaten in those times including Chicklings (pigs intestines stuffed with fat) Black pudding (pigs blood and fat) scratchings (fried pig skin) Brains and 'sweetmeats'<<<

these things are not strange - they are a staple farmers diet.

brain is fucking excellent, black pudding just after butchering is delicius.

always when upcountry here i fight for the brain when we slaughter a pig.

:p

Guest lazyphil

Lets face it--anything they can lay their hands on they put in a sausage (scrotums, ears, udders, testicles etc--all ground up, ummmmmmm, NICE!)--and isn't it funny Newmarket sausages are noted for their high quality and its home to the world famous horse racing track!

Archived