Singapore Airlines To Fly Non-Stop NYC - SIN

Soi11

>Yep... the old days on the "Kangaroo Route" to Australia. Qantas used to do London - Bahrain - Singapore - Sydney and vice versa which was a bit of an ordeal.

You know nothing about the "Old Days".

Neither do I. :D

My first flight was in 1971, on a Caravelle. I was a child, only some sweets were served to me.

The first international airport in Sydney was at Rose Bay. For large Sea-planes. Until after the WW2.

The trip to London was 7 nights (sleeping in hotels) and 8 days. The cabin was not pressurised, flying only under 10K feet.

The price of the ticket was something like 6 years salary then.

Today, small seaplanes take tourists above the city and up to Terrigal and Gosford.

18 hours SIN-JFK? Hard to bear. Without a pill.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Only sweets?

A long way on a few boiled lollies!

Still, definitely something romantic about the "real" old days - 8 days to London. Staying in exotic locations in old-world hotels and then hopping off to the next port the next day. Probably more civilised than long-haul travel today when you think about it! Now we're just processed sheep.

Fly P.

>Wow. Only sweets?

A long way on a few boiled lollies!

Sorry FlyP, I did not say how long the flight was.

Only 40 minutes.

>Staying in exotic locations in old-world hotels and then hopping off to the next port the next day. Probably more civilised than long-haul travel today when you think about it! Now we're just processed sheep.

Agree, yes, pretty much. However, now, an average Aussie can go to London for the price of 70% his/her monthly income.

Nothing like (put in the proportion) 220K A$ return.

About 180K US$ today's prices, adjusted.

think_too_mut said:

>I know the SIA Leadership doesn't have "regular" economy seats, more like an "economy plus" style...

...The plane capable of seating 400 people will have only 181 seats.

How is such comfiness reflected in the fare-structure? Do these seats come with a business-like price-tag, or is it more like EVA's Evergreen Deluxe -class? :dunno:

:beer:

Hi Minuman.

I actually did a "dummy booking" on the SIA website yesterday between SIN-JFK-SIN for July.

From memory, quote came in at about $2300 SGD I think. So that's about $1500 USD or so. Their business class is about double that.

That's on their website. No doubt you would probably get cheaper at a travel agent or discount flight shop. Maybe 10-20% cheaper, so worth shopping around. Their website also has a big description and photos of this new aircraft.

Fly P.

>How is such comfiness reflected in the fare-structure? Do these seats come with a business-like price-tag, or is it more like EVA's Evergreen Deluxe -class?

Somebody said the SQ ticket is 1300US$.

I don't know more, my question was - would East Coast of the US like it. 18 hours flight and 2 hours in SIN and 2 hours to BKK.

22 hours altogether vs 28hrs it is now.

think_too_mut said:I don't know more, my question was - would East Coast of the US like it. 18 hours flight and 2 hours in SIN and 2 hours to BKK.

22 hours altogether vs 28hrs it is now.

Forgive me if I have miscalculated, but if you live in NYC, what the hell are you doing flying for 28 hours ?

Why not fly to London, Amsterdam or Frankfurt and go direct to Bangkok. Europe to LOS is about 11 hours plus the 7 hours from NYC to Europe, totalling 18 hours plus changeover time. Should be less than 20 hours no ?

>Why not fly to London, Amsterdam or Frankfurt and go direct to Bangkok. Europe to LOS is about 11 hours plus the 7 hours from NYC to Europe, totalling 18 hours plus changeover time. Should be less than 20 hours no ?

I was wondering too.

JFK-LAX 5hrs, 2 hrs between flights, 12 hrs LAX-NRT, 2 hrs break, 6 hrs+ NRT-BKK. Total 27+ hrs.

People do that. :dunno:

Archived