Singapore Airlines To Fly Non-Stop NYC - SIN

Soi11

shygye said:

[color:"green"] Why not fly to London, Amsterdam or Frankfurt and go direct to Bangkok. [/color]

Cost. Flying transAtlantic adds over $1000 USD to the price verse transPacific fares.

I don't see how ?

Prices to USA around GBP200 and prices to LOS around GBP400 at the moment.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cathay are using the 340-600 on their HKG-NYC. Big problem is though that the 340-500's have a longer range. The 340-600 is going to find the NYC-HKG leg very tough and will normally will only just make it with enough fuel.

In fact Cathay have had to come up with a lot of contingency plans for this route because of the range issues on the 340-600.

They cannot carry much cargo (if any at all) on the NYC-HKG leg and they are also expecting to be bumping a lot of people out of economy and having to send them to HKG by other means ( Continental or thru Vancouver) because of the range issue, they have factored in having to bump up to 40 people of the flight to get the weight of the aircraft light enough to reach HKG on a full tank of fuel.

They were going to use a reconfigured economy class same as Singapore airlines, but they that would mean they could not use for the regional flights when they get to Hong Kong. So it was decided better to bump upto 40 people each time and compensate them than reconfigure aircraft.

Bearing all the above in mind you can expect the direct HKG-NYC flights to be considerably more expensive than the ones stopping in Vancouver.

Speaking of HKG-JFK does anyone have any recommendations besides Cathay Pacific for this route :bow:

Its their hub, but I actually rather don't like them as an airline based on lots of legs and headaches over the years.

options:

1) Fly to the West Coast and do a domestic flight to JFK, which is always a little tricky, and contingency is non-existent if your flight gets a major delay or cancellation [for the domestic route].

2) Find a reasonable flight from HKG to JFK on a good carrier. BTW, I don't mind a stopover. I like to return circulation and movement to my body when possible.

Cheers,

the_numbers

The_numbers,

Doesn't UAL875 originate in NYC...I often connect with it out of Denver to Narita... I get to fly from the high country in a small Wisconsin Air 2/2 prop plane...talk about interesting ride!

SkiBum

<>>The flight will take about 18 hours in each direction

"Rumsfeld flew 22 hours nonstop from Washington to Singapore, with three midair refuelings, to attend the Shangri-La Dialogue."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=542&u=/ap/20040603/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/rumsfeld_asia_2&printer=1

4 hours longer than commercial

& 3 mid air refulings .. (cost per? )

it's a 1 stop / re fuel trip on any airline.

the defense department? .. ??

seems every thing is a bit harder for Rummy.

Archived