Singapore Airlines To Fly Non-Stop NYC - SIN

Soi11

Singapore Airlines (SIA) will commence its non-stop service to New York from 28 June 2004.

The Singapore to New York flight will set a new record for the world?s longest non-stop commercial flight, beating the existing record set on 3 February this year with the launch of SIA non-stop services between Singapore and Los Angeles.

SIA?s record-breaking A340-500 aircraft, called the A345LeaderShip, will travel over 16,600 km (around 9,000 nautical miles) on the Singapore to New York route. The flight will take about 18 hours in each direction and save passengers up to four hours in travel time, as compared to the existing one-stop services.

PS - It's actually faster to fly Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong, to Bangkok.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18 hours is FAR too long to spend on an aircraft without getting off!

I know the SIA Leadership doesn't have "regular" economy seats, more like an "economy plus" style. But even so... 18 hours is enough to send anyone bonkers! Definitely a 'sleeping pill' job, that one!

I prefer to have a stop-over half-way to stretch my legs even if takes a couple of hours longer.

Will be interesting to see if any DVT claims come after this flight has been operating for a while.

Fly P.

Hi TTM.

Sorry - hadn't read that thread you posted on, but have read it now.

Which route will they take?

Leave JFK and over the Atlantic and Middle East, or over the USA and the Pacific?

If its over the USA and the Pacific, leaving at 2300 and arriving early in the morning (2 days later due to date line etc) will mean one looooonnnnggggg night! (Total darkness for 18 hours+ - and darkness for a few hours before you check in). This flight won't be good for jetlag sufferers methinks!

Fly P

"18 hours is FAR too long to spend on an aircraft without getting off!"

Just did United's Hong Kong - Chicago (747-400) route last month. 13+ hours to Chicago, just short of 16 coming back. I did notice that when we came into HKG, we pretty much came straight in, can't imagine there was much fuel left.

TH

FlyPapillon said:

18 hours is FAR too long to spend on an aircraft without getting off!

Flyp,

Long ???? you have no idea....... back in the 80s, flew with Sabena, Brussels - Istanbul - Delhi - KL - Sydney, 27 hours, same plane, 3 stops..... THAT was fun !

3 to 4 days work there, and hop, back on the same trip.

BB

Yep... the old days on the "Kangaroo Route" to Australia. Qantas used to do London - Bahrain - Singapore - Sydney and vice versa which was a bit of an ordeal.

But at least you could get off, strech your legs, have a smoke (if you're so inclined), and breath some "real" air.

I appreciate some people just want to get there and get it over with, but 18 hours in an aircraft without any stops is too long for me. I would rather have the stop over and take an extra couple of hours to get there.

Fly P.

FlyP,

Yep, did that route as well..... and yes, the stops were fun to get out, smoke and shop as well.......

BTW, back then, half the plane was smoking INSIDE the plane, its only the last few years that there is a smoking ban.

Good riddance, I used to smoke as well, stopped 3 1/2 years ago, never looked back :p

BB

non-smoker

Well done on quitting the smokes.

May 31 is "World No Tobacco Day". Might use that as a day to quit. Really want to now - been smoking 13 years and starting to feel it now! Actually... that gives me an idea!

(See Board Bar soon!)

But even as a smoker I am glad that a majority of airlines are smoke-free. A horrible environment to put up with smoke!

Fly P.

Archived